What do I need for a lead core rig?

There are a ton of good rod/reel combols that will work, but:

I like the Okuma Convector CV45L or CV45D reels for lead. They hold 300 yards of powerpro 30# backing and 10-12 colors of 27# lead plus a 30 foot 20 lb mono or fluoro leader nicely.

Any 8-8.5 ft M or MH rod is good. I use the Okuma Convector GL-C rods, but I'd try the Okuma new Classic Pro GLT Copper/lead rods which are cheaper and probably just about as good.

JAM

The Okuma cv reels are easy to reel in and can hold up to 13+ colors but the reels these folks are making today have some quality issues. The inexpensive Daiwa Accudepth reels actually seem to have fewer problems. The tough thing w/ getting into lead core setups is that you need a bunch of reels if you are going to target multiple depths (example; I have (2) 2 color reels, (1) 4 color,(1) 5 color (1) 6, an 8 color and a 10 color.If you get the 7' med Ugly Stik rods they have a slightly larger than average tip guide which will accommodate a Sampo snap swivel, this makes it easy to have a bag full of reels that you switch back and forth between just 2 rods.