Kayak'n for Salmon on Sandy Creek w/ a SCORE!

So I got down there about a 6:15. Put the Kayak in, realized I had no life preserver, and went fishing. Paddled out to the mouth and back casting along the way. On my way back right below the Yacht Club I felt the J-Plug hit the back of a Salmon. 3 Cast later One WHACKS it. FISH ON! I was fishing with my 9'6" Daiwa Noodle Rod, a 2500 Daiwa Exceler Reel, 8lb test McCoy, and a #3 Orange J-Plug. Now, remember I was in my Kayak, and it was only the 3rd time I had ever Kayaked! It made for one heck of a battle as this fish drug me up and down the creek. People at the Yacht Club lined up to watch! Well, it took me a good 10 minutes to tire him out and get to the bank. I was rewarded with a beautiful 18lb Female Chinook. I left around 8pm with that being the only action of the night.

img046.jpg

Rick , Rick,Rick , never forget the floaties, Ok the real story is he was bass casting and got the salmon.... i tried fishing outa a kayak in fla.2 years ago its a challange to fart in a kayak let alone cast and reel in a fish (unless you got a "fishing style" kayak) gimme my canoe or bigger ... Nice job (lucky you had that low center of balance ahem Im down 22lbs it ant easy but doable your too young and a good looking boy to carry the extra baggage)

• 3 months later...

Congrats on the nice catch from a kayak! I've caught brown trout and steelhead there, but haven't caught a salmon since I moved from Oklahoma - on my list of things to do. Too bad the Sandy is frozen over now... It's going to be a looooong winter.

Let me know if you want to do more 'yak fishin' and want some company. I and my friends with the Western NY Kayak Fishing Association know of a lot of great places to fish from little plastic boats...

• 1 month later...