New waters

I have been fishing out of Oak Orchard for the past 3 years. The distance has finally caught up with me, its a 2 hour trip and I haven't been on the boat as much as I would like because of that. I am considering Seneca or Cayuga since they are closer, figure i can always run North a few times a year as time allows. I live in Tyrone (Lamoka Lk) so Seneca is closest, but I haven't fished either lake. I am looking for a few opinions on which lake is better, and if its Seneca, should I look for a slip on the North end or Souuth end?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Keuka Lake,which is just around the corner from where you live,is much cleaner and has some great Lake trout and brown trout fishing.In general the lake is not as wind swept as Cayuga and Seneca.Best of all.It does not have Lamprey.Both Seneca and Cayuga have lots of lamprey.

There is a great free launch site in Penn Yan.

First year I had my boat I slipped at morgan marine on Keuka. In the course of that summer i caught near a 100 hammer handle Lakers, all in 3-4 pound size. Never caught any browns or 'bows. I also found the rec boats to be a royal pain in the butt.

I have been very fortunate to fish Lake Ontario and I grew up on Lake Erie, the bigger water draws me. I'll keep reading and make my decision by Spring. And yes, I do plan on fishing all 3, but want to call one home.

Funny that should mention the rec boats.

I own a cottage on Owasco lake but I hardly ever fish there in summer because of rec boaters,I used to escape to Keuka ...

That just goes to show that everything is relative.

I fish Cayuga a lot and Seneca every now and again. Just started "trout trolling" this year and have a lot to learn but have come quite a ways this past year. Seneca is probably better known for trout but I have had much more success on Cayuga. Fished Cayuga 2 weeks ago by myself and landed 10 lakers is 3 1/2 hours. Several were in the 3-5 pound range but most were pretty small in the 15" range. Very little boat traffic where I fish unless there is a derby going on. I like fishing the middle sections of both lakes north-south wise.