Our first trip to Cayuga 9/18 - 9/20

Had a good time this past weekend camping & fishing out of Myers park. I have never fished the finger lakes before, so my 10 yr old son Justin and I were able to fish with Rollie (Final Flight) on Friday for a half day tutorial of the lake. We put a couple bows and a few salmon in the boat along with a laker. We had a great time fishing on the Blue Bubble with Rollie....thanks for having us bud!

Sat morning we set out with my good buddy Jeff Jackson (Jeff J) and his son Matt on Jeff's boat. A cold front blew in the night before and the fishing was pretty tough. We couldn't move a rod so we threw out a Big Weenie Grease Trap on the 450 copper. It wasn't in the water 2 minutes and it takes a shot and Justin lands a 7+ lb laker. We ended the day boating 7 or 8 fish but both kids had fair fish to weigh for the youth division in the Barney tournament so they were happy. We only had one hit on a flasher/fly off a dipsey and a few off spoons, but hands down our most consistent rod was the Big Weenie Grease Trap on the copper. Unfortunately, I only had one Grease Trap with us.

gx1G8Ey0.jpg

gx1G85D0.jpg

Sun morning we got an earlier start. We headed to the west side above the falls with a new game plan. We ditched the flys and went to peanuts and spin & glows behind the flashers and ran them off the dipseys. It wasn't long and we were doubled up...one on a green pro troll with a green spin & glow and the other on the 450 copper pulling that same Big Weenie Grease Trap :yes: . We had a busy morning, doubling up at least 3 times, but the kids were dropping a lot of the dipsey fish behind the boat and I lost a nice one at the net for Justin :$ . The dipsey rods took the majority of our fish with the spin & glows out producing the peanuts by a couple fish. Jeff did take a nice bow while he was setting rods, but most of our fish were lakers with a couple small salmon mixed in. The Big Weenie grease trap took 4 fish again on the 450 copper and the riggers were very quiet for us. It was mostly a junk rod bite for us beginners. We ended the day 11 for 16 but had a great time. No $$ fish for us but the boys got first & second youth fish in the Barney so they were very happy! All in all it was a cool trip :yes:

gx1Grxl9.jpg

gx1Gs2M0.jpg

gx1GsY8i.jpg

Rod,

Thanks for posting the pictures, they look great. This was a great and fun filled trip. Matt and I want to thank You, Justin,and Rollie for the invite and a great weekend.

Thanks to all the people who put their time and effort into this tournament, it was alot of fun!!!

Look forward to doing it again in the future.

Jeff & Matt

Dumb question but what is a Bow?

"We put a couple bows and a few salmon in the boat along with a laker. We had a great time fishing on the Blue Bubble with Rollie....thanks for having us bud!"

Nevermind...I'm a dummy. Rainbow!!!!

They worked great last week on the Lakers Stan....let me know how it works for you. I ran a Crushed Ice glow grease trap w/ a green glow peanut behind it as a trailer.

Next month I'll be field testing them on Stripers for Big Weenie. I expect them to be deadly on the stripers....I'll keep ya posted!

Do you usually run spoons behind the Grease Trap or are you using Bait? How long of a leader are you using? What color grease trap have you had success with? Sorry for all the questions just found this device interesting on BW web site. Thanks.

Jay

i run a green and white grease trap. i been running a 30" lead behind the trap as i use a vibrator fly, to help give it action. you can run a small spoon, spin-an-glow and a peanut behind it. if you like lake trout action you should get one.

Over here on Lake Mi they run them with a peanut, spin n glo or small flutter spoon like the little warrior spoons about 24" back and the meat heads about 30" back. Jason would know what works there for sure. Stripers, I know nothing about but I sell alot of the GT's to guys on Cumberland lake in Kentucky and they have went crazy for them on stripers. Those and the Vibrator flies. Not sure how big they are down there. Now the stripers at the shore it will be cool to see what happens. Those blue fish, look scarey! I also sell alot to guys in Idaho and NJ who fish for lakers on smaller lakes. Good luck guys and hope this helps, BW