Fishing from shore?

rayo

I am a lifelong fisherman. I have caught more salmon, bows, steelhead, browns, bass, etc., in ponds and streams than I can count. I have never caught any lake trout, splake or landlocked salmon.

I don't have a boat or access to one, but I'd like to get into to some of these fish.

What are the possibilities of me driving up from NYC and getting into some from the shore? I've read that lakers come in close during the fall. Those are what I'm really after, but of course I'd love to catch my first splake or landlocked salmon.

Any specific bodies of water / locations, baits, set ups, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like good fun. Could you tell me what town the break wall is in (and where I can get minnows around there)? I have never been in the Finger Lakes region. Also, any suggestions on creeks to check out? I really appreciate it. I don't know how else I could find out about this info.

Rayo,

Look up "Roy's Marina" on your search engine. This is on the west side of Seneca Lake about 3 miles from the north end. There is no place to fish from shore there, but they do have various baits and they have been the port of call for many of the great legends of Seneca Lake fishing history. There are some very knowledgable, nice people there who may be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

The owner is named Larry and his wife is Ros. They know what they are doing and what they are talking about. Suggest you include them in your search for information.

Good Luck,

Grady

on seneca, about 8 miles up the east side from watkins is smith park. there is about a half mile of public beach there, with a boat launch with 2 docks, and on the other end is a swimming dock. you're not supposed to fish off the swim dock, but thats only looked after in swimming season. a bit above the swim dock is a point where a small stream flows in. smith park may not be the hottest spot on the lake, but in the off season you'll probably have it all to yourself. if the wind is out of the west, stay in watkins.

I would wait a month cause LT are spawning, and the BT and LL want to. They're being REALLY picky right now, but when they're done they ought to be hungry. Last night I saw hundreds of fish at the mouth of t-falls creek, but they are in spawn mode so they have lock jaw. It's torture to see that many fish with no takers. It's the same every year, but I still keep tryin, can't walk away from 15# BT swimin all over the place.