Material for downriiger board

rooky

I would use pressure treated and then stain or paint it the color that you want, then use minwax helmsman spar urethane to coat it. The key is to let the pressure treated wood dry before painting it or else it will peel. Maple or other hardwoods would be good also but its going to cost alot to buy a thick enough and wide enough piece.

I used A PT 2x10 Sized & fitted to my situation on my 21bayliner trophy. I then wraped it with blue indoor outdoor carpet. It looked cool as hell . Make sure to use thru bolts for your riggers . Was nice cause I would move my rod holder around deppending on if it were spring ( Planner boards) 0r Summer ( Riggers & Dipseys ) To fine tune my setup for optumum perfprmance without puttung holes in the boat. I actually put one across the back & one on each side bolted together.I'm a trim carpenter so all this was pretty easy for my but you can do it.

Nice winter projedt . Use Stainless fasteners.

use mahagony it is almost the exact same as teak and very strong. Get two one inch thick pieces and cement them together clamp and screw them. make sure the grains are reversed as this will add to your strength. the other thing about mahogony is it will not warp like other hard woods and pressure treated wood. then about 8 to 10 coats of a good spar varnish making sure to sand it back each time.

• 4 weeks later...

I used a 5/4 x 5 1/2 composite deck board. My span is only 6ft. It was about the same cost of pressure treated + stain+ clearcoat. Never worry about rot or warp. Just bolt your riggers trough. I have two riggers and 5 rod holders on mine. A 10ft board was $20 at lowes theyv'e got a couple different colors. If your going too much longer I would use something heavier (thicker) or support the middle. The plastic is pretty easy to work with don't be intimidated by something new.

• 3 months later...