Lure Observation

This year we have made a couple trips to Chautauqua and boated a good number of fish. One generalized observation that I have noticed is that EVERY single 40"+ inch fish came on natural looking baits (Natural Perch) while EVERY single fish under 40" came on bright colors (Fire Tiger, etc). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

that's interesting Chad...I have to say that ALL of my fish there this year have come on the SAME bait regardless of size above/below 40...despite running a variety of colors and baits. mine was a dark green color...not sure if that constitutes natural or not LOL...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I have noticed simular experiences in lure color,most of the firetiger color lures were catching muskies under 40 inches as well.Brown Perch has caught me the most fish over 40 inches,but Black with silver glitter on the belly has caugh all the muskies over 45 inches.Then over 5.0 mph to 6.0 mph has caught all the muskies 40 inches and under and 4.0 mph to 4.5 mph have caught all the muskies over 40 inches.Also this year 75% of the muskies I've caught & released have been out over open water away from the weedbeds.Chautauqua has been very good for me this year with 68 muskies to this point!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

http://www.mostlymuskies.com

Repeatability Is 90% Of The Hunt!

That is very interesting guys. By the sounds of it a slower (4.0-4.5) with a more natural (black/silver, perch) presentation was the ticket this year to producing bigger fish.

I wouldn't have normally thought anything of it but when every single fish on the bright lures was small and every single fish on the natural stuff was big...... then you start asking yourself these questions.

Zach -

For Chautauqua lake I would think all white is definitely a natural color considering the number of white perch/bass that I have caught out of that lake. I recall last year still fishing by the bridge catching one white perch after another and having musky guys trolling 30 yards on either side of me :lol:

white%20perch%20by%20BZ.jpg

C

Don't forget the size of the bait the bigger fish will use energy on, one larger meal is less energy wasted chasing several smaller meals so the larger ski's will be tempted more by larger baits. Plow on ... fewer fish but bigger, usually, small ones will hit too but not as often.