out drive problems

So tonight was the last trip of the season for us. The boat ran fine going out trolling all evening until i started back in to port. I have a bayliner with a 350 chevy engine and a volvo penta aq series outdrive. After running in almost to the pierheads at 300 rpm the engine reved up and the boat just about stopped in the water. I tried to throttle up a little and all it did was rev and only move at 2.7 mile an hour. We made it all the way to the docks and when i put it in reverse it poped right in and had great power in reverse. when i put it back in forward it just kind of started moving very slowly ahead. if i tried to do throttle past just putting it in gear all it would do is rev and not move any faster. Any ideas what is going on with my boat???

Not familar with volvo outdrives,but had a similar experience with my alfa drive years ago. The lack of lubrication and heat build up in the drive due to low rpm running at trolling speeds over the coarse of many hours may have talking its toll on your forward gear. This is why you still have reverse. On my boat I had to drive in reverse from the lake to marina,pull the boat,remove top cap only to find that the gear, bearings where basicly schorched from heat. If I remember correctly, about an eight hundred dollar repair. I do remember that feeling of trolling all day, pulling lines, powering up and then nothing. Note this does not happen in a day or two but over time. May or not be your problem but this is just what happened to me.

I'd ck the prop 1st for a spun hub. If you have a spare try that one on it before you go any farther. Also ck that the shift cable is fully engaging at the drive. That done if you still have the problem it is probably in the upper section of the drive. Volvo uses a cone type shifting mechanism in the upper unit unlike m/c or omc, for forward & reverse. If that be the problem take it to a competent marine shop as they do require special tools to replace & achieve the correct tolerances. Not a job for the home mechanic unfortunately.

it wouldnt be the prop on the volvo it is a solid aluminum prop. after looking things over in daylight it looks like i hit something. there is paint off the prop a dent in it and my plastic hydrafoil thing is all busted up. And i know it wasn't like that when i left last night. it really didnt fell like i hit anything though