trolling for browns in irondequoit bay

Hello all,

a buddy of mine mentioned that he had heard that some were catching quite a few browns - flatlining stick baits in about 10 fow in irondequoti bay and in Lake O just east of the bay.

i also read in an earlier post that i-bay needs to be dredged - that there is only a narrow channel deep enough not to get stuck. I haven't launched in i-bay and i have a small, 16 foot starcraft that i would only go out on lake O if it's very calm.

There's only one public launching ramp in i-bay correct?

Can anyone give me some advice about the depths in i-bay and if the browns are indeed biting?

thanks a bunch,

andre

Alot of guys use the public launch at the mouth of the bay.

There is a nice book of maps of the bay that you can find at walmart or gander, or dicks that shows the depths of the bay.

The depth and lures you mentioned are about right.

Look for stained or slightly tan colored water and have fun!!!

The channel issue isn't a problem with a small boat like yours, just don't blast across the shallows at full speed or you may find a few submerged rocks....a very bad way to ruin a fishing trip. most of the north end of the bay is between 2-4 fow in the shallows and about 8-9 in the channel IIRC.

A 16' aluminum boat probably draws less than 2' so you should be fine.

good luck and have fun!!!

have not heard much about fishing in the bay, but the lake has been good. When exiting the channel into the lake stay to the far left (west) riprap. A huge sandbar extend 2/3 across from the east pier. I went in there Monday and the water on the west channel was 6-8' deep.

good luck.