I am just unlucky or am I completely clueless

fletch

About 3 weeks ago I went out fishing for salmon on Summerville Pier for the first time. I was with a friend of a friend who showed us the basics. We fished egg sacs about 24" below a split shot and an egg sinker above that. We had one hook up and saw one big fish next to the pier that got away. Even though we didn't catch any fish, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and became committed to catching something off of Summerville.

Since that first night, I have been out about 5 more times for a total of about 18 hours. I have fished in the morning before sunrise, in the evening before sundown and at night and I still have not had a hit. The people I have been fishing with have had a few hook-ups and I have seen people on both sides of me hook up. So my question is (are)......

First, is my experience on Summerville not uncommon? It seems that I should be getting a little love from the fish.

Is my set up wrong? I am fishing red Atlas eggs sacs that come w/ the styrofoam floats on a 3/0 circle hook (left over from my time in Florida) about 24" above an egg sinker. (For what it's worth, I don't think the sacs float w/ that hook).

I am also casting a 3/4 oz Cleo w/ no results. I saw a 20+ lb fish caught today on a green spinner w/ a gold blade. Am I missing something?

I won't get into my pole/line/reel issues. I will save that until after I hook up and lose a few fish.

Anyways, sorry for the length of the post and any help is appreciated.

Flecth

What Gambler said in my opinion is right on the money. It kinda goes against the grain, your thinking big hook, big fish...but it doesnt always work that way. Try glo cleos if you have a way to charge them. Some days fish will hit things that are just a paticular way. There are a few old post from guys here that would probally be helpfull. Some pm messages to them might help you out alot more than im able. Good luck and stick with it.

I will second that with a #4 hook and a small float like a bobber to keep it up it works well with me. Be sure and put a few split shots on above the egg sack at least 6 to 12 inches if the current is bad. I prefer to use egg sacks with no float in the sac I like the action better.

Get rid of those Atlas eggs and get yourself some cured salmon eggs or fresh eggs from the local bait shop whatever you can find ask the guy working for fresh eggs whatever you get don't buy them in a glass jar buy hand tied sacs. The Atlas eggs won't do you any good whatsoever, they litterly are a waste of time. Defintely downgrade your hooksize as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man if its legal where you are I would recommend throwing a floating crankbait. The crank works best in gaudy colors like firetiger but I have had salmon hit a natural shad colored crank. The key is the bait has to float and should be relatively deep diving. I tell ya man the salmon just slam the cranks when they get in close. The ferocity of the strikes is intense and in my expierience tend to hit the cranks often. Drifting is always a solid method but sometimes you just got to switch it up to get bites. Thats where the crank comes in.