scrambling to find big suckers

i'm freaking out- can't find a big sucker in town. called everyone. striking out big time. "i can get you shiners" is all i hear. "did i ask for shiners or suckers sir" is my response. can anyone help me out?

called that # in red creek and got the answering machine. gonna attempt to call agin in the am. maybe its close to bobs house? bob if they have them wanna split some? i can whip you up a quick strike if you need out of 125lb flouro. i tie a bootleg hulcano rig.

i'd give 4 bucks each for those 12-16" suckers right now. i know in the spring time i can get them in many places but now all my hopes lie in a red creek pond. will call them today (even if they don't have them thanks a ton LANDSHARK for the advice for trying this bait farm). i'm afraid that they may be like everyone else that carries them and they will only run 6-8" oh well. Mr BP Swing a hulcano rig is a quick strike rig. sorry maybe i should have specified before we went this far. btw i have never used a single hook for suckers or have ever waited more than the time it take to clear the rods before setting the hook. this won't be my first time using them for bait. i learned sucker fishing from going on guided trips to eagle lake with herbie (and his crew of guides) from andy meyers lodge with my father years ago. you should see what my ole man when using suckers. he has a tailgunner spinner blade off the back of the sucker and paints their gill cover red with ma's lipstick. i works for him.

After catching a nice 50 inch musky in Wisconsin last year on a quick strike rig and a 12 inch sucker, I came back to NY all gung -ho on live bait fishing. I bought a large aerated minnow bucket, made my own quick strike rigs and had every thing ready except one thing - the bait. I fish the St Lawrence and called every bait shop from Syracuse to the Mohawk reservation north of Massena. Forget it...no body carries large suckers, the 1000 Islands bait shop had some but they were nothing more than six inchers that you would use for pike.

Most places told me there's no market for them here and with the new laws to comply with VHS regulations it makes it even more cost prohibitive. Catching your own bait is the only solution, even then you could get in trouble if you have no proof where you got them.

Regards

Bob

Zach,

I understand why you re desperate about finding the suckers. They re most effective bait when I chase for pike in the bay. Bayside Tackle said they will get more suckers this week. Call on Friday 585 224 8289.

Quick question - what is a quick strike rig? Thanks.

a quick strike rig usually involves more than one hook. look at hollie and hellens under quick strike and you will see the rigs, some involve rubber bands. at the very least its a regular hook through the suckers snout and a treble 1/2 way back on the minnow. you hit the musky soon after hitting the bait unlike the single hooks which you let them take for like 20 minutes and stomach hook the fish. this is looked down upon b/c most fish have a problem with a size 10/0 hook in there stomach and it may take there life. ordered big minnows from red creek and they won't be here until wed.

• 3 weeks later...

What about the DEC regulations? I thought we couldn't catch minnows from one area and transport them in a vehicle? I still have a 150 foot commercial seine net that I bought thirty years ago. It has an eight foot custom made pocket in the middle. I use to catch suckers and all kinds of fish out of the canal. I have been hanging on to it and was hoping to go into the bait business but with this VHS scare, I thought we couldn't catch bait anymore.