Deer Season '09

Legacy

So is everyone ready for the start of the 09 season? Hopefully the preseason scouting is done, the stands are hung, and the gear is prepped.

Hopefully everyone will post their hunting reports and their success on here for all of us too enjoy. I havent seen any posts from the northern zone guys??? For all of us in the southern zone, where is everyone spending their bow opener and whats your hunting strategy?

Spending my bow opener in my back yard! Havn't bow hunted in 6 years, so strategy this year is to wait for a nice clean shots and try any put as many in the freezer as I have tags during bow season. I ran out of meat in Jan. last year, its pretty much all we eat besides fish!

we have a camp in sodus i'll be huntin the whole first week . my stand over looks a food plot which has red clover , white clover , no plow, and secret spot . on the other side of me is a point and you could call it a ridge also it is where the creek turns.... i fish in the spring some big! steelies and rainbows are in there and with the rain we had it didnt bring up the water for kings and cohos like last year... i just got back and checked for rubs none yet we had rubs last year in last september

good luck to all .

I am getting used to a new Matthews Drenalin that I won in April. My old Alpine needed 3 pins to get to 30 yds, this thing has one pin to 30 yds! 8) I take a bunch of does w/ the bow and good buck every other year or so. Although I prefer bow season, I do use a rifle and a muzzle loader to pare down doe numbers on our cropland.

Prolly will be in the cab of this truck on the opener, hope to be one place or another by the first week of November. Either Otsego, Delaware county, or closer to home in 8A near the lake. Bad part is, no practice yet, and no license yet. Four or five shots to check the sights and that is usually it. The big bucks$ for the license is tougher to get used to :(

Mark

I'll take my stick and string to my shotgun anyday. No time like archery to be in the woods. I've got a bunch of does patterned out in a few places. Hunt these first but i'm betting the bucks won't be too far off as the bachelor groups split up. They chase does pretty hard here in schuyler county. Buck:does= 1:20 probably Not too many calls work though last few years nothing works. ACORNS! ACORNS! ACORNS!

I'll be in my favorite "corner" stand in Wyoming County. When my Uncle Roy was alive, no one used the stand except for him and when he got so he couldn't climb up there anymore we constructed a ground blind below for him. He took a lot of deer from that stand and rarely missed. uncle Roy started me bow hunting since my Dad didn't bowhunt and I have a lot of great memories. Since his death a few years ago, I start and end every season in "his" stand and pay my respects. I manage to harvest a deer from there every so often in memory of him. Good luck to all this season - be safe.

Shawn

I will be hunting local Sat. am not sure what property yet maybe just in my little 5 acre backyard stand. Then I will head down to camp which is in sardinia located SE Erie county we have about 15 stands on 300 acres not sure what one I will sit in depends on how many people show up. I dont do much preseason scouting anymore because the property is a little over hunted but it still is a lot of fun to go down and hang out with the boys. The older I get the less I want to work hard enough to get the big buck. I now hunt more on luck and wish the fishing season was longer, I guess because after 34 years of bowhunting and just a handful of years of big lake trolling I would rather fish.

Good Luck to all be safe, have fun and enjoy the time spent with family and friends.

Counting down for me. 20 hours from now I'll be in one of my stands down in PA. Their season started last Saturday. Hopefully this is the year I stick the 12 point that has eluded me the last 2 years.

got a new elite z-28 and can't wait for the first good shot. plan on going to the acorns in Bath for the opener and hitting up hennrietta when i can't get down to the tier. good luck boys! i'm ready to start slinging some arrows and following some blood trails soon! 8 points or better for me on the bucks and any doe that comes in alone is done. walking jerky is what i call the does.

Have 88 acres to myself and bow time is the best time. :) Mennonite crop farming neighbor rents to a deer club, so you duck when the shooting starts. :o

We rent our tillable and feed the sheep with alfalfa ground on shares. This year its soybeans, but the back edge where we have a 300 yard laneway is against corn. After hunting here for 12 years now you would think I would know every tree, but Spring scouting I stumbled on a great tree, (it really grew in a year), in plenty of thick cover, but it has some natural shooting lanes and the deer can pick corn, beans, alfalfa, or acorns all nearby, but to and from they should amble on by. We shall see.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to everyone and lets see some reports and pictures. NE wind screws things up for me but ill be in one of my new ladder stands tomarrow morning bright and early.

i hunt hickory hill north of bath, own 17 acres - are we on the same hill? have seen 3 bear down there on the top of the ridges. what did you miss a shot @? i have heard tons of rumors about the big cats running around down there. have you seen any or have any stories to tell? i heard a few years back that one was hit on rt. 17 and it had a radio collar on it. maybe just stories but what have u heard? i know a neighbor of my grandfathers in southern illinois shot one 2 years back deer hunting.

• 4 weeks later...