Coast Guard physical

I am wondering where everyone gets their DOT Coast Guard physical. The medical center I get my OSHA surveillance physical at doesn't instill much confidence administering the "Coast Guard" physical. When I asked if they do the CG requiired physical said they could ... what needs to be done? I see this as a possible application problem. I would like to get the physical at a place that knows what it is and performs them often.

Where does everyone go for this? I work in Syracuse but will travel to get it right the first time.

PS. I have no problem with the medical center I currently go to so I didn't mention their name. They are just far enough from the lake that they do not perform these regularly.

Two things I can think of that are not a routine part of the physical are the color blindness check, picking out colored numbers in colored back-round in dots and a hearing test. They want to make sure you can tell red from green on the water and hear a blast from a ship in the fog. Other than that a routine physical exam by your own physician. Cough and bend over.

Broadhorizons,

I am a family physician in Rochester and I have performed these examinations for charter captains. Although the majority of the examination can be completed by your family physician, most of us are not equipped to perform a proper assessment of your vision (color testing) as well as a formal hearing test.

What I have done is I will complete the physical portion for my patients and then refer them that same day to an eye doctor and a hearing center (if possible) for the hearing test and the eye exam.

You can also call an "Occupational Medicine" physician who specializes in these types of "physicals" and most likely could perform all of the testing under one roof.

Here's a link to Occupational Medicine:

http://www2.envmed.rochester.edu/envmed ... lcome.html

Here's a link to the form:

http://www.nauticalschool.com/pdf/1625-0040-719k.pdf

Hope this helps,

- Chris

Disclaimer - I am an employed physician of the University of Rochester, however I have not received any compensation for this post, nor do I have any personal interest in the Occupational Medicine Dept.