Fingerlakes community college electroshocking!!!

Hey my namne is Jon Pafundi and i am a local from fair haven new york out by oswego. I am currently attending Finger Lakes Community college in canandaigua, and am majoring in fisheries technology. One of my classes is based on fisheries techniques, and we go electro shocking. I just figured i would share the experience with you guys. Yesterday me and a few other class mates went to Honeoye lake with our professor, for our first shock. It is actually quite amazing to see this. We only shocked near the shorelines out to about 20 fow, and in half an hour we captured, examined, measured and released about 10 walleye over 18 inches, hundreds of perch (many above the 10 inch mark), a few pickeral over 20 inches, and tons of largmouth bass, with our biggest being 22 inches. Some real big crappie where examined and a lot of other panfish. All fish were successfully released and we will be back out monday afternoon again for another shock. We successfully gathered data for 317 fish. Just figured you guys would find this pretty interesting such as myself. And head out to honeoye, theres tons of fish lol. ;);):yes:

hey jon nice job on the shocking!! i graduated from fl in the spring of 08 with the degree that you are in and let me tell ya you are in for a ride its an awesome experience. just wait till you guys go up to oneida for the "research trip" and hammer eyes from shore all night long!!! if you remember tell foust that mark elliott says hey. good luck with school and tight lines!!

I went to Plattsburgh State University for my BA in Environmental Science. We did some shocking also on Lake Champlain and some ponds, streams and creeks in the Adirondacks. It was a blast. It's amazing how many fish the small streams can support, sculpins, dace, small trout and the surprising large one hidden under a root system here and there. Stuff you never see otherwise. It's great to hear how people get excited over class. Hands on field study is the best.

Yea, it is great i love going to school here they make as much as they can hands on to get you experience. Its not even like im going to college its more like being trained first hand for a job and its great. I cant wait to go stream shocking now to see how works as well!!!! Its cool there are other people on here that share the experiences that i am going through, it truly is amazing to see this stuff first hand.

No i do not think he is anymore. My professor is Jon Foust, who is the fisheries technology major teacher and Frank Smith is still involved in the fisheries and enviromental programs, and they are the ones who have been teaching us, but Foust is the fisheries teacher who is the shock instructor.

Frank is an awsome guy!!! Lots of laughs with him. I took the same major and had a great time up there and I learned alot!!! We shocked the lake as well as the creek and got some nice fish. Good times!!! My first simester I had to take a guy class, for that class we fished the Salmon River. How can you beat that!!! I played guide as I knew the river pretty well as I had already fished it for years. Another good 4 credit class was Ornithology taught by Chris White. This guy was a little mis understood but taught the class well.