trout in the shallows?

Absolutely, I live on Lake Ontario (between) Braddocks and the Genny and I do catch them every fall. They will feed in the shallows to get ready to run the streams. I would throw a cleo with some bright colors at em. As salmonite mentioned, you have (way) better chance in the spring.

• 3 months later...

All october and november i was slamming the browns in the ponds just west of the genesee off bridges and on my kayak. Biggest one was 32 inch and easily over 10 lbs. They were cushing a 3/4 oz silver cleo retrieved pretty fast near the top. Along with the browns i caught a few nice pike too and the fishing is incredible in a kayak because they drag you all around the pond.

You can catch some browns thru the ice in harbors like Olcott as the fish fall back after spawning. A radiotagging study I read showed browns will move in and out of rivers and streams, but as the water temp in shore reaches 40 degrees, fish will migrate deeper to warmer water. Look at the surface temp map on the NOAA site and you will see the warmer water is out in the middle of the lake. In the spring, everything reverses as warm rain will warm the shallows and bring the bait and browns back tight to shore. Start the end of March probing piers, stream and even ditch mouths with run-off. Good fishing from shore til probably mid-april.

I have taken trout in the spring with as little as three foot of line off my sideplaners in shallow water. The warm shore waters attract the bait and the fish. A surface temperature gauge and the depth finder are reallly needed when you are on the beach.

• 1 month later...