Newbie to Salmon Fishing, Offshore/River tips?

Hey all,

im new to the whole salmon fishing although what i've been hearing and reading has gotten me really anxious to give it a shot, is it too late in the year to attempt some salmon fishing? I dont have access to a boat so I can only really do offshore or river fishing but can anyone recommend some spots which are known to have some traffic this time of year, i plan on going thanksgiving weekend. I've heard port hope is a good spot to try , but is there anywhere else i should consider for my first attempt, as well as what lures/bait to use and time of day that is ideal?

Cheers

Thanksgiving weekend.....take your pick. Good bets are below Burt Dam, Oak Orchard Dam, Oswego River Dam, Salmon River......any tributary will have browns, steelhead and occasional salmon. Primary bait is salmon eggs fished under a bobber.

Well the best bet you are going to have is for steelhead and browns if you are coming up around thanksgiving. The salmon run is pretty much over by then, and the remaining fish will be all beat up and practically dead, with the exception to some late run cohos, but they arent like the "thick" runs we have going on now. Gill T is right, your best bait will be to fish single eggs, or sacks under a bobber or float, or to bottom bounce with eggs and sacks. Any way, good luck, hope you get into em!!!!!

Thanks a lot for the tips everyone, I've been told about Bronte Creek, and Petro Can Park, any recommendations about these spots, also was wondering where u are allowed to go night fishing because fishing at the parks are limited to their operating hours if im correct? any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also forgot to note that i'd be fishing on the Canadian border side, i Just realized those other locations noted were on the US side of lake ontario.