The Skinny on Skinny

It's almost time. Still 58 deg. on top. Usually have the best action there at 55 deg. Another week or so away. Went Sat. 10/10 and Sun. 10/11 for 4 hrs. each morning in search of bows at the north end. Sat. went 4 for 6 all 18-21" bows. Sun. went 2 for 4 bow and atlantic. Took all off boards, mostly over 60-80fow with white croc and silver alpena diamond being the best lures. Did mark a ton of lakers in 120-150fow. Better fishing is yet to come ;)

Also if anyone is interested they were pounding the perch on minnows in 40fow. Several guys out there doing that and doing well. That's all I have for now.

HI Hookem

thanks for that interesting info....I am looking forward to setting sail on Skan later this week....

Do you ever try to pull streamers on top this time of year? I have read for years about how sensational that can be, and have tried it now and then, but I have caught only a few bows that way. Certainly never the 30 - 40 fish days I hear others claim.

I assume that the spoons off your boards are near or at the surface?

By all means, keep your reports coming......Thanks !

Hi Skanperch,

When the water is a bit calmer I will pull a streamer and flutter spoon program and it will yeild some good results also. ( There were 3-4 ft waves Sat am. :o )You gotta put the hammer down and troll 3 - 3.5 though with them. This weekend with those strong N NW winds keeping speeds was tough. Although I did use hevier spoons and weighted smaller stuff most everthing was running a few feet below the surface. I had riggers set at 20ft & 10ft with a few releases but nobody home.

I have had those 30 to 40 fish days years ago. But the past 4-5 years it hasn't been like that. I don't think they have been stocking the numbers they used to or if at all. I have also seen otters out there that I haven't seen before and they look fat & healthy.

Good luck if you go out and be sure to give a report. :)

This post got me thinking that the last trip of the season should be on Skaneateles. Hit the water at 1 PM was off by 4 barley got out of the canal as we launched in front of the Glenn Heaven. Took my 9 yr old fishing buddy Jack and we started on top in front of Lourds point. Fished for about 1 1/2 with nothing working over 100 to 200 fow out in the middle. Went back to the east side and started marking lots of fish down 80 to 120 over 140. Went 4 for 6 in the next 1 1/2 hours. Two nice bows on top and a couple of small lakers down deep. Hot lure was copper #2 needle fish in florecent white with the orange stripe and pokadots???? Took three bows including the big one that spit the hook 6" from the net.

Jack with 22" Greenback

Ts2oTZtr.jpg

Jack and I with the 20 incher

Ts2oUORr.jpg

Was Late getting on the water this am. Didn't launch til almost 8 ;( Water temp is a perfect 54-55 on top. Picked up a nice 20" bow before I even got the 2ND rod out :clap: Stayed at the north end all morning picking away and went 5 for 5 with a nice mixed bag 2 bows 2 lakers and 1 Atlantic. One of the lakers was spitting up perch fry when he hit the net (kinda like the last meal he tried to eat 8) ) Probably could have done a few more if I was there on time :@ Oh well.

Its game on now :yes:

Ts2sZR2S.jpg

Hey Hookem,

went out on Skan today....trolled streamers fast on the surface, and then downrigged some small flutter spoons 10 to 20 feet down.

Conditions seemed good, cloudy with a chop, but we only boated 2 bows, 18" and 20". Both came on the spoons. We had 3 hits on the streamers, and one hookup, but lost it.

I was wondering if it was you I saw today, trolling with planer boards. Is your boat a dark gray Lund with a 25 HP Yamaha? If that was you, how did you do?

There goes the neighborhood :yes: Nice ;) , 400 views and counting, I was wondering why its getting so crowded on the lake :thinking::clap:

....well sliderman, while you are at your office dreaming of all those bows on skinny, two of your buddies have read the above reports and are now out on the lake reducing the number of rainbows for you to catch.9.gif

Hi Skanperch,

Was not out there Tuesday. I have a 8-5 40hr grind and usually only do weekends unless I happen to get sick 8) I have the best luck with the streamers and flutter spoons when its dead calm and can keep a steady speed between 3 & 3.5.

I thought this site was to share fishing info but maybe I'm wrong. :( Since I usually only get to get out once a weekend, if that. I try and check on here to see whats going on and get the latest info. That way when I take the kids out I am trying to go some where that has produced recently and I am maximizing time along with hopefully catching a few fish to keep things exciting. Just thought I would pass along info to others who are looking to do the same. But I guess I "let the cat out of the bag" or invited the neighborhood or whatever, sorry. As far as it being crowded, I'm a little confused. When I fished Sunday there were 8 boat trailers at the launch, 1/2 of whom were perch fishing. On the water I saw 3 other boats trolling for trout. I didn't have to wait to launch or wait coming in. I refer to crowding as waisting time waiting at the launch. But on the water, it's still a pretty big lake and the fish can be anywhere along it. I also read posts they are catching landlocks on Seneca, Lakers on Cayuga, and walleyes at night on Oneida if anyone was interested.

H&C,...you had the right idea about this site. It's here to share.

Not all share info. Some just read the posts and don't contribute and some just hoard info like it's a matter of national security. They are just threatened by their own shortcomings. Don't pay any attention to them. If everyone did that then this board wouldn't exist. Info on this board is give and take.

Hang in there. I hope your kids get tired arms from reeling in fish.