What kind of line for spinnerbaits?

tbulhead

You SHOULD use mono for your spinnerbaits. Mono has more give than the other choices, which can be a deciding factor in your land/lose ratio. A fiberglass rod also helps a lot. Fiberglass is more forgiving than graphite. Helps from pulling the hooks on the hook set by giving you that extra split second. This goes for crankbaits as well.

I use between 12 lb and 14 lb mono , but you can go with 17 lb when conditions call for heavy line. If you are fishing open waters go with 12 lb , the weeder it gets you can go heaver , also water clarity can be a factor. Also if you are tring to run your spinnerbaits deeper go with lighter line , for it is less bouyent . I hardly go below 12 lb on a baitcaster reel. Superlines ( PowerPro ) can work real well too. You will get alot more feel for what your bait is doing , but be careful , there is no stretch in superlines and you can brake a rod pretty easy if you get hung-up and set the hook hard or try and pull it off. The superlines will cut threw the weeds alot better than mono or florocarbon. If the bass are short-striking and you are using superline switch to mono , this will alow the bait to give alittle more and the bait will fall back into the fishes mouth more. Look for a rod with a slower tip will also help. ( bends easly near the tip ) this will give as the fish is hitting the bait.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I started out using way too heavy tackle for cranking and throwing spinnerbaits and lost a lot of fish. I went with some lighter tackle and my hook-up ratio is way better. You just need to set the hook- not rip it out of their mouth :)

Curerently I'm using 17# Trilene XL with a nice soft 7' G-Loomis rod (8-17#, but it feels softer than that). In heavy stuff when I throw a spinner bait near weed edges I will occasionlly use XPS flouro cause they hit and run back into the pads and it seems to hold up better.

• 2 weeks later...

usally use ethier a 6ft medium hvy bait caster with 10pnd or a 7ft m with 8pnd suffix siege for my general tackle works great for most all tackle.only do i use heavier line only when fishing heavy weed growth. then i ill use 12.no need for that heavy line unless ur going for salmon