20 color leadcore

Ray

I am considering setting a rod for 20 colors of leadcore and I would like to know if there is an inline planer board that will pull it or am I better off running a big board off the mast?

Thanks for your input.

Ray

Ray, as much as I like to use the core line, if I were to even think about using 20 colors, I'd go with a 300' copper instead. Sink rate app. the same and less apt to get wrapped up in a tangle when a major takes off. I.M.O.- If that is not an option then go with 10 colors and a snap weight if you are looking for greater depth. The Church and Offshore in liners will handle both these applications-Duane

Duane. Thanks for the response.

I have a 600' copper setup and a 10 color leadcore setup, and I prefer to run the leadcore over the copper. I just do not like copper...so that's why I am considering changing over to all leadcore. I like the snap weight idea on the 10 color.

Ray

Ray,

We fished in Ludington, MI over the past decade and they use quite a bit of lead core up there. It's a lot of line out, but it's exactly the same as a 600' copper. It should get you about 60-80' down, but I'm convinced that the line doesn't sink at a linear rate, so once you get that much line out, the last 100 or 200' is probably more like "flatlining" under water like a down-rigger way,way back.

Nonetheless, I use a ton of lead core - I have a 2,3,5,and two 10 color set-ups and I really like them a lot. I use all of my core on in-line planer baords and they seem to work just fine. I like lead core b/c it's fun to catch the fish and it offers a really nice stealth presentation.

Good luck,

- Chris

Ray,

We fished in Ludington, MI over the past decade and they use quite a bit of lead core up there. It's a lot of line out, but it's exactly the same as a 600' copper. It should get you about 60-80' down, but I'm convinced that the line doesn't sink at a linear rate, so once you get that much line out, the last 100 or 200' is probably more like "flatlining" under water like a down-rigger way,way back.

Nonetheless, I use a ton of lead core - I have a 2,3,5,and two 10 color set-ups and I really like them a lot. I use all of my core on in-line planer baords and they seem to work just fine. I like lead core b/c it's fun to catch the fish and it offers a really nice stealth presentation.

Good luck,

- Chris

Chris, are you saying 600 copper only gets 60-80' down, or do you mean because it flattens out thats where it actually is at??

To clarify - In my opinion when we fish these really long lines, I don't think they all sink at the same rate for every "color" out. Although we all know the rule of thumb is for every one color out, the core sinks about 4.5' or so, I don't think that holds true for every length since there's drag from the water, current, boat speed, etc.

In my opinion it's probably something like this:

first color out - 4.5' down

second color - 9' down

third color - 13' down

fourth - 17' down

fifth - 21' down

sixth - 25'

seventh - 29'

eighth - 32'

ninth - 35'

ten colors out - 37'

When you start putting out 20 colors, I bet that the last two or three colors is probably only down only 60-80' (instead of the expected 100' at the 4.5' per color rule) b/c of drag in the water.

I think there are depth curves for lead core in the Precision Trolling guide which might discuss this but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps,

- Chris

• 1 month later...

I fish 2 leadcore lines with 17 colors each.That is all that will fit on the reels (daiwa 57lc).I use them mostly on Keuka lake trolling live bait for lakers and I find that at 1.6 mph with 14 colors out I can make it down to 110 feet.The more streamlined the bait, the deeper it goes.With dream weaver super slims I can get close to the same depth but anything bigger brings the lines up a lot higher.I guess it is the water resistance of the lure in combination with the weight of the line.

18 and 27 pound test have the same amount of lead per foot so 18 pounds gets you a lot deeper.

A real interesting sinker is being made by the stinger company.They call them dive bombs.They may make a very big difference.

As for inline planer boards,not a good idea.20 colors weight quite a few pounds by them selves.Every time I reel in 13 or 14 colors it feels like a huge fish.If you add an inline planer to that, you will need a very heavy duty fishing rod

A walleye board would pull it fine if that is what you prefer to use. You may want to switch the clip on the board over to the vise clip though. It makes a huge difference!! Here is the link:

http://www.churchtackle.com/Product%20P ... _Clip.html

IMO Copper rules if you're fishing for deeper kings and I agree with Chris on the depth. That's not to say a 20 color won't put fish in the boat though and if you like the lead better, the walleye with the vice clip will do ya fine.

Fishtails...thanks for the info. and link...I think I will be ordering a couple. I don't like running the copper, so I am going to try the 20 color leadcore. Yeah, the lead won't go as deep, but I am ok with that.

Thanks, Ray

Also consider the fact that lead core doesnt have the inertia that copper does... you lose ALOT of depth when you run large drag baits such as a flasher fly combo of of lead core... for example lets say your are running 400ft of copper with a spoon and 400 ft of copper with a flasher fly.. the difference and depth isnt going to be nearly as much as say 20 colors with a spoon and 20 colors with a paddle and fly.

Another vote for the copper.

Yep my last two lakers came off my 600' rod set up. One was 3oz short of 20lbs the other

5os short of 19lbs. Copper has proven to be a valuable tool when the down riggers are not firing . I have a 600', 400' and am setting up a 200' rod for this summer.

WOW, That is 600 feet of core + leader and backing.

You are pushing seven hundred feet of line behind the boat.

Sounds interesting.

What kind of reel are you going to use. I would hope it is a high speed reel. :beer:

As far as distance out goes...it should be the same as a 600' copper rig. Right?

WOW, That is 600 feet of core + leader and backing.

You are pushing seven hundred feet of line behind the boat.

Sounds interesting.

What kind of reel are you going to use. I would hope it is a high speed reel. :beer:

As far as distance out goes...it should be the same as a 600' copper rig. Right?

Yes, if you're running 600 ft of copper behind the boat.

Most of the time copper is run with Dipsy's. So the whole 600 ft is not out.

With core it is best to run all the core out. That way the core is not on your top rod guide.

The reason for that is because with the core on the top guide you break the lead inside the sheath.

And that weakens it. That is why the top rod guide should be on the backing.

I run 30# Power Pro for backing and 27# core.

I don't run copper. But I have been running core for 20+ years.

I first ran core with Dipsy's, that was before Power pro.

I do, at times run one core down the chute.

Now I run it off Down riggers. Two colors. My #1 set up. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. :beer:

[quote="kliph

Most of the time copper is run with Dipsy's. So the whole 600 ft is not out.

Copper with dipsys???? Please explain. Why, when the copper gets down enough without a dipsy? Kind of a waste of cash if you ask me. SS wire rigs are a lot cheaper and achieve the depths needs 99% of the time.

Still scratching my head hours later about that one.

First off, I don't run copper. But I am thinking of it. I did run stainless for a while. Too stiff.

Many guys run copper with Dipsy's. The reason is because you can get deeper with less line out.

Also many think the hum of the copper line attracts fish.

Also some will run a roller tip top or Twillie Tip.

I run a Twillie Tip on my full core rod.

That way I can run the core on the tip without breaking the lead, I hope. :beer:

Where are you fishing Kliph? I also know someone who fishes dipsies off of copper but I won't name any names :lol: seriously though I would think on Lake Ontario most divers are fished with ss wire line, and that copper and leadcore are used by so many fisherman because of their abilities to achieve a desired depth in the water without having to be used with a diving device, or set on a rigger, etc. I have ran the 2 color core or SWR with some results before also though.