pheasant hunting

honu

Just wondering if anyone can give me a little insight into pheasant hunting around Rochester? I have hunted pheasants in Minnesota with a friend, but I have no dog or friends in Rochester to hunt with. Is there any success to hunting solo in this area?

honu,

the pheasant hunting in NY is generally 1) on state land with released birds or 2) on a preserve with released birds.

Hunting w/ o a dog is more likely to be just taking your gun for a walk.

I f you do try to hit a preserve, make sure you inquire about the habitat.

I went to one a few years back somewhere between Syracuse and Rochester. At first the guy running the place told me he was going to release the birds in the hardwoods. When I balked at that, he sid he would release them in a field. It ended up being a cut corn field.

Also, many preserves offer Hungarian Partridges. I prefer them over pheasants because they taste better, and you get more birds for your dollar.

Good luck- Rusty

Where we hunt the state birds it is very high annual weed growth & the birds simply will not put up w/out a dog-they just run hidden from sight. It's been my impression that this is typical of the areas the DEC chooses. If you were closer I would be happy to have you w/ us, if you find yourself in the Cortland/Chenango area drop me a PM.

Thanks for the information. I have looked into local preserves and hunt clubs, but they are a little too pricey for me right now.

For the guys that hunt DEC release sites hear around Rochester, Bradocks Bay and Sodus, is one better than the other? I think that I just might walk on of the sites and see if I can flush a bird or two.

Thanks,

Randy

If you know anyone with a farm maybe you can buy your own chicks and release ...1 lure 5.00= 2 chicks,1 trip to rochester60.00 gas=almost 30 chicks.....but hey imjusta plummer.(then you can invite your friends over to hunt HINT,HINT)

Ray, you raise the birds & release them on my farm and I'll help you w/ the hunting part ;)

hunting around roc without a dog is almost pointless IMO. i knock a few down everyyear ,but i have a good dog and work hard at it. shoot me a pm ,and i'll try and get u out if i can. lakeshore wma isn't to far from u ,and i done decent everytime i've gone. good amount waterfowl as well.

hey blockhead where is lakeshore wma? I just got a new dog and would love to run her where I know there are some birds I have been out a few time where birds were said to be put but nothing I dont know if I am even in the right place. any help would be great.

lakeshore is off 104 over by sodus. i've hunted most of the release sites. they really seem to be a crap shoot. catch them on a good day and they can be great. what i've seen lately is kind of unfair. dec lists where birds will be released ,not when. friends of dec officers are told when ,where ,how many. they get first crack at them, and the public gets the left overs. most of the sites are surrounded by water. the birds get hit hard with lg group of guys, with good dogs ,and inside info. a few birds still slip threw the cracks. most birds are released on fridays. i'd hunt right after a release or weekdays and try and locate a bird or two that make it past the weekend crowd. honestly if i had a young dog and money was tight ,i'd catch pigeons or buy a couple of gamefarm birds. pigeon racers will most likely give u a few birds for free .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...