Most memorable moment of the 2009 season?

OK fellas I want to hear the stories, give us the 1 thing that you most remember, good or bad from this past season

Mine would have to be my first double copper fire. I broke more tackle than barry sanders

irish mist was trying to run his bow over mine 3 times in one mourning outing. even after giving more room he continued to change his course to make enemies it seems. it was no accident for sure. so we tied a 3 ounce sinker to a spinning rod and were going to bounce it off his head but i think he got the ideah whene we started coaxing him back over. what a friendly fisherman to share the lake with :no:

Took Mick and his wife out on my boat and fished the Bar...Had a hit on a dipsy trolling off the out rigger...I grabbed it and sure enough there was a good fish on there....well, I handed the pole to Mick's wife and she reeled and reeled and reeled some more and reeled even more and fought this fish with a huge bend in the rod for what seemed to be an eternity... Mick is standing at the back of the boat waiting for the huge fish to come within range of the net, when finally it appears...First the dipsy is visible and now....here comes the lure...Mick turns around and looks with a sheepish grin and says ...nothin....THERE'S NOTHIN THERE...NO FISH...oops the dipsey didn't trip..the look on Mick's wife Chris was one which needed no words to describe....Mick and I were looking for the bilge room about that time....sorry Chrissy :$ I will be sure to check the dipsy for trip next time, bilge water tastes really bad :lol::puke:

I will say the most memorabe moment was the last of the fall loc. We were fishing out of wilson & decided to stay in close in the morning & I was just putting down the probe when the wire dipsy rod went off. There was 230ft. of line out & when the fish quit running there was 478ft. of line out. It took about 30 min to get in & it was a 26lb. king, todate that is the biggest king I have landed. It was a lot of fun.

It was a season of memories for me, I can't decide between 4:

A solo two-banger on light line:

5-23-09GENNY2.jpg

Some of these guys:

7-3-09SHAKER3.jpg

(Natural repro king shakers)

Some of these:

8-8-09Atlantic.jpg

(Atlantics)

And of course the free DW SS from JaVee’s when I told them REELJERKS sent me and it turned out to be the hot lure for me this season. (Thanx again Mark)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I had alot of memories this past season. My best was Aug 14th. I had my family aboard along with a good friend. We decided to head out offshore right away and fish a long day with the great weather forecast. The plan was to setup around the 32 line and look north towards the fence. The catching started out slow but by 9 am we had nice steady pick going. That continued thru the day with the longest period 20 minutes between bites.

By 4 pm, we were around 34.1 N x 19.9 W. We trolled thru an area with plenty of marks and we tripled. We had several more doubles, triples, and 1 quad in that area. Earlier we had decided that 7 pm would be the cutoff. At 7 we started pulling rods beginning with the corner rigs. The center rigger rod hooks up and then 2 divers. Another triple to finish the day!!

We kept a log and the tally was 31 for 50. Things were real hectic at times and our numbers could have been a few more. We took some salmon in the morning, mostly steel thru 4 pm, and a mix after that. Our largest king was 25 lbs that day. The great day of weather, fishing, and having my wife, kids, and a good friend along definately made this my most memorable of the season. We all had a blast!!

Ts2dAytS.jpg

Ts2dBHP0.jpg

Ts2dCHaA.jpg

Ts2dD_ui.jpg

Ts2dFKeA.jpg

Ts2dHLrS.jpg

Ts2dNK5r.jpg

Ts2dOQWr.jpg

Got my soninlaw out for the frist time. I had a knee replaced and he was a greaat help rebuilding an old Starcraft hardtop with me. We were off 9mile and hooked up with a salmon. That fish swam stright to the boat and net. It was like it had given up. My soninlaw was kinda of disapointed. The next fish made up for that. It took 100' on the hook up and another 300' after Chris had the rod. He was in a panic, asking what am I susposed to be doing. That fish came off , but we wound up with a nice box for the day. I never saw a king act like that frist fish, but that second hookup made up for that.

I have two.....the first would be the Sodus Pro Am. The fish that weekend were about as BAD AZZ as I have seen them on gear in the 20+ years of Lake fishing I have done. Just missed out 2nd Pro Am win because of the viciousness of these Kings this weekend. To top it off we had the 2nd largest box of the tourney, and maybe even the whole Pro/Am Trail in 2009.

The second was definitely Labor day weekend. The Sunday morning started off with 7 matures in about 45 minutes all on Paddles and Flies off the Flats. One of those hogs would turn out to be the largest fish boated for us in a Loooooooooooooong time! Prolly 10 years or so. HE tipped the scales at 31.14lbs, and to boot i got to share the excitement with my buddy Maniac who also took a 31.12 minutes prior to me.

Mine would be reading all the post and realizing that I am not the only one who looses weights, gear and fish. Just being blessed to be apart of this site where you can agree and disagree but most of all the support and tactics from some of the most experienced sportsmen I have the pleasure of talking to.

I would like to say THANKS TO ALL. Hope we can continue sharing stories and tactics.

Howie

Being blessed with a super flat day on 8/16 and being invited by my friend Capt. Dave Begins to fish with he and his GF Andrea on the Great Lakes Minnow. Dave knew I wanted to get my wife on her first king without getting her sea sick. First fish on was a nice 20# king that my wife reeled in. 2nd fish went to my daughter and that one was a very nice but just short Atlantic. It went back to swim another day. Both fish were Lake O first fish for both ladys.

Thanks Dave and Andrea and Mother Nature!

I have several good memories...leading the Wilson Scotty after day 1,(landing in 4th after day 2), winning the Capt. Jack's tournament in Sodus, placing 3rd in the Summer LOC Derby, some crazy good days King fishing in Wilson this May, and so on. But I also had a great time watching my 4 and 6 year old sons catch lake trout, perch, and bass by the bucket full on Cayuga Lake this summer.

The bad...breaking more gear than I ever thought possible on Day 1 in the Sodus Pro-Am. 9 Kings broke off paddles, flys, etc. that day, not to mention the other 8 or 10 fish that just came unbuttoned. Funny how we had it dialed the day before and then got spanked so hard the very next day. That day still hurts, and I'm not sure I'll ever know what really happened to us. But the hardest thing by far for me was missing Lake Ontario after we moved to Cayuga for the summer. While I really did enjoy my time on Cayuga with my family, I missed Lake Ontario far more than I thought I would. Sure I was able to get out with Jerry and Rick a few times over the summer but it just wasn't the same. We've decided to come back to Lake Ontario again next year, but I'm going to have to find a way to replace that time with my kids on Cayuga Lake. They truly loved coming trolling with their Dad, and I loved sharing it with them. I'm really torn between time with my kids here and time on the big Lake, so that'll be an on-going struggle for me in the coming years. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy a smaller boat for down here too.

In any event, it was an interesting year for us and one that will definitely stand out in my memories.

No doubt about it, our first trip on the water in our own rig on August 30, 2009. Words cannot describe my feelings after patiently waiting for so many years to finally complete the dream of having a boat to take out and fish these wonderful lakes among us. So many of you at this site were a part of that first day, and the many more to come in the future as you willingly opened up with information and advice on how to fish, where to fish, and how to have a great time doing it. I will forever feel a debt to this site and the many great people who make it work. I'm hoping in time my repayment can be in learning well enough to someday offer advice to the future fishing newcomers. To all of you, THANK YOU. :yes:

Greg

6wKgJ.jpg

by the way landshark i seen one of your pics from the site up close and i met you before. you came to look at my bathtub in kirkville but anyway i guess ill make up the last post about a bad day.

1Vxc9.jpg

1XAUA.jpg

bolth in one day. this was my first and last musky to date as well as my friend with the big beards first and last. these are oswegatchie river pure breed st. lawrence strain fish. and the pic didnt come out to good but we caught a 20.17 lb sheephead in oneida lake on the way home. huge fish man!!! what a weekend. hope that makes up for the negativity i spread all over!! :yes:

Would have to be a tie between watching Pete from ON THE LAM get a hook jerked out of his finger dockside or watching all the interest and intrigue that Jersey Jim from DOUBLE JJ created when he put his boat up for sale on the dock for a very reasonable price. I still owe all of you guys including Elk eating Frank for that nasty dead salmon you lashed to my swim platform. Stay tuned next year fellas. :beer::beer::beer::beer:

My partner Rusty and I were fishing the Niagara bar the first week in may.....rigger fires, I grab the rod and fight a real nice 18 lb. spring king to the back of the boat, when out of nowhere a fearless coho grabs the slider spoon inches from the big king!!! Both fish go nuts , I'm screaming "net the big one"!!! Rusty makes the scoop,both samon in the net and into the boat!!!! A double the hard way....1 rod ,2 salmon!!! Lots of fun.

my favorite moment came as an observer on a pro boat at the Niagra Pro-Am. The boat I was on was picking away here and there all morning until running into a spot loaded with cohos. Within a 30-45 second period 4 rods fired with 4 fish - yep quaded up! :yes: The captain shot like a rocket for one of the rods as they were going off all over the place - never saw someone move that fast before. As the first fish was nearing the boat, one the mate yells - get the net quick! Guess what? It was only a four man team!!! Everyone else was fighting fish hard (you know how cohos can be) and trying to keep lines from tangling and yelling at each other. May have even overheard a curse word or two - not sure :rofl: That was the best train wreck of 2 or 3 minutes I've ever seen and what a blast! P.S. I learned alot that day too :)