7pt down , meat in the freezer

I watched him all year at a friends property, never got a count but I Knew he was wide enough for me. Hadn't seen him in 1 month, and heard rumor he'd been hit. Went there for a look around with my buddy after our morning hunt elswere. I found some beds, one large one behind an abandoned corn crib so we got a ladder and set up upstairs at 2 pm. At 2:37 he trotted by and into a thicket. We about crapped ourselves. My buddy took the far side of the crib and wished me luck. I just kept picturing him coming out of the thicket right to me, I KNEW he had to, cause deer always do what you think they should :D Well at dusk he did just that. while he was on his way a guy walked his dog within 50 yards of him and I thought it was all over, but the guy never saw him and the deer didn't seem to care, and proceeded to within 25 yards and turned broadside. So I drew, aimed, fired, hit my arm with the string and completly missed. Oh yeah completly :@ . The buck runs 50 yards, turns around, and starts coming back. This time he comes to 20 yards turns broadside, and needless to say I didn't make the same mistake twice. double lung heart devistation. 100 yards later I had my buck. Wierd thing is that last year on opening day I also shot a 7 point. I'm making him into sausage right now. Good luck to all and be safe :yes:

Perch,

It seems every successful hunt has a great story attached. If you are like me, the best part for you was a total whiff and reload. Bowhunting is great for giving second chances. My biggest fear in the woods is a poor shot that wounds one with no recovery. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened to me, the closest was when I gave a buck a belly shave with my Bear Whitetail back in the day. Santa brought me a Parker, trigger release, and graphite arrows for Christmas that year, so there was a silver lining.

Greg

PS Do you make your own sausage, or use someone around Tburg?

Wish I had the free time to tinker with it. I've been using Fingerlakes Meat Processing in Romulus. He does some of our lambs and a beefer each year and I can't complain with some of his hotdog and sausage combos. The whole family enjoys them. Getting back into fishing maybe we'll try a smoker in the near future.

Congrats on the buck! Great story.Speaking of processing venison, Hey You All; keep your ribs if you have a smoker & by and by I will post my Wild Willy's Wondeerful Rib Rub recipe, everybody in my extended family looks forward to this feast. There isn't a lot there but what there is truly, incredible!

Sorry,I got the flu, will get my deer rub recipe up on the forum asap. I will post it on the favorite recipes section.

After spending a day in a boat with Frisco your lucky all you got was the flu1.gif

All right, I'm feeling better :) but now I gotta skin & butcher up another deer :o - I will get the rub posted this weekend. P.S. Just stack the ribs on top of each other, double bag them and freeze if it's a warm bow season, usually I just leave them hanging if it's cold enough. It doesn't hurt to leave the extra fat, etc on the cage untill you are a day or so away from bbq. I usually wait till then if I can and then trim them off the spine w/ a sawzall and kind of spruce them up w/ a fillet knife.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...