Documented Boats

Boatino

I'm purchasing a boat from out of state that is "Documented." Has anyone had any experience with this? If so do you still need to register the boat in NY? The out of state boat is documented but does not need to be registered in that state. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

and yes, I believe you still register it in NY, you just dont put the reg number stickers on the sides. You think NY's not gonna squeeze those registration dollars out of you evil rich guys (i.e. large boat owners) :P:P:P .

Tim

Thanks Tim, I figured good ole NYS would want their cut every few years. BOATUS as part of the financing package rolls in a $600 charge for re-documentation. Does anyone know how quickly the boat needs to be registered. It's just going to sit on dry dock until spring.

Thanks,

John

a $600.00 redocumentation fee is a bit excessive! i would look into that. that fee should be no more than $500.00. i believe you have 40 days to register the vessel before you will be subject to interest and penalties, the problem is that depending on how busy the NDC is you may not get your documentation for a cpl months. you WILL need this paperwork to show ownership, generally the "clerks" at the DMV will let you slide with the issue date on you documentation. Dave

Dear Boatino,

Another piece of advice....You only have 28 days from DATE OF SALE to pay the NYS Sales TAX!!!! The NYS DMV is where you pay it and do not lose the receipt! THE NYS Sales Tax Department will audit the info after 90 days and send you a bill and fines & interest if you missed the time limit of 28 Days!! Been there, done that!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill (any purchase over $500 out of State)

Rick,

No haven't posted pics yet. I'm waiting until the deal is completed. The survey went very well yesterday. I'm hoping its here by Halloween :inlove: My wife is still up in the air on the whole thing. I mean pissed off.....

Bill,

Thanks for the heads up on the registration. I'll make sure NYS gets their money asap.

John

• 2 weeks later...