Anyone hunting toothies this weekend?

Anyone plying the waters this weekend or is everyone still crunchin leaves with the one-string harp? :D

I for one am going to try to hit waneta Sunday if the weather cooperates...that means no rain...I think any hopes for warm temps are out the picture for the year Im afraid so that doesn't factor in anymore :(

Just a trial run for chautauqua later in the week...will be poundin the weedlines with the casting rod. sounds like the girls are about ready to reemerge from the turnover funk and get the feedbag on. :clap:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

My brother and I are planning to hit Chautauqa either Saturday or Sunday. Weather doesn't look great either day as the wind looks like it will be up around 15 or so, but hopefully won't be much of a problem out on the lake, especially if it's mostly out of the west.

Good luck out there. I will post our results - we will probably do a mix of trolling and casting.

MarkG

Guys, don't forget Buffalo harbor and the Niagara. November, the fish move inside the breakwall at Smallboat Harbor. Niagara fishing is world class with guys trolling with braid/wire or ripping giant tubes in the holes.

thanks but I don't think I will be hitting it by myself as a noob...I can just see myself straying and falling into the arms of the RCMP :lol: need someone with some experience there to keep my from straying and show me the breaklines and holes.

But...I did get my enhanced drivers license last week in anticipation of the event...so my time WILL come! :D

gill-T...i`ll be hitting the harbor next friday(and maybe sat)on my way to chautauqua.Never fished before...should be a hoot!!!-i`ll be solo too.I`m gonna make out there nov 15 for the nma tourney/picinic and want to @least spend a day in the harbor before hand.

Bob s :yes:

Latest reports from Chautauqua have been all Casting success in the North Basin. Using Ed Lationo 8",Leo Jerk 9",Newman Jerk 9" or Suick 9" in Black colors at weed edges and drop off edges. Muskies were caught at Mission Meadows,Dewittville Bay,Hatfield Bay,Mayville Flats and by Prendergast Creek/Snug Harbor Channel. Its been a jerkbait bite all week from the reports I've recieved.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Repeatability Is 90% Of The Hunt!

www.mostlymuskies.com

Nothing for us today on Chautauqua. Spent 7+ hours casting and trolling in the North Basin. We trolled through and around the holes, across the lake, and out in 12-30 ft. of water. Casting was done attempting to stay over weeds or on the outside of their edges.

MarkG

here's my report: nada, zilch. trailer brakes been sticking off and on and decded I better deal with it before my tranny comes out on the loosing end of that deal. got the week off to finish work on it, so I ripped out the actuator over the weekend...just gotta order the parts today with expedited shipping and Im back in biz by Wed :thumbup:

gonna hopefully hook up with Vince for some tigers Thursday on Conesus and then keep on motoring down to Chaut for couple days. woo hoo!

nitro...you coming back on saturday??lOOKS LIKE YOU`LL HAVE THE BETTER DAYS...GONNA RAIN ON ME!!! :(

I should come to expect nothing less when making that trip.I like a little inclement weather but @least once this time of year a little milder(drier)would be nice-nuts!I`ll still be out there though pounding some water.

Bob S

yeah gotta leave early afternoon on Sat. Stipulation is to be home for trick or treating...lucky me!

don't get too worked up by the weather yet...the way the forecast keeps pushing out, by the time weekend rolls around you will probably have the warm dry weather and I will get the cold stuff preceding it LOL...but bring your tent poles and fire poker just in case :D

if im lucky and things stay as forecast I might just catch the tail end of the warm stuff and get the good bite of the start of that front...

Kevin burned my poker!!!! ;( lol

Just caught the foercast...drops to low 40`s come saturday.

Hopefully BlueEye and yourself do well before that.Sounds just like the tourney...cold front,tight to weeds.I`m gonna have to bear down and do some casting.Wind is also blowing in.That may keep me off the niagara-we`ll see.I`d like to fish it but last minute descision.Thinking of getting in just north of the south grand island bridge at isle view and fish the stretch from the bridge up to tonowanda island.Mr.Toothy gave me a few spots to hit-loaned me his maps and marked`em up. :yes:

I`ll probably run into you late friday early sat -we`ll see.

Bob S

Just remember that a trip to the Buffalo Harbor could mean a vist to your boat by a Hawg Slob Muskie over 50 lbs this time of the season. I would rather spend the day trying for a Fattie in the Harbor then possibly going fishless at Chautauqua for smaller muskies this late into fall.Get those Legend Perchbait's out and go slow troll structure in the Buffalo Harbor!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Repeatability Is 90% Of The Hunt!

www.mostlymuskies.com

Gonna try larry...however i`ve only got legend unless i can talk lee into( ;) ) loaning his out.I1ll be running mr.toothy`s in his blk perch pattern(none like it)smity trollers(finally got them to run)9"ciscoe kids and the trophy diver from the last seminar(nite shiner).50lb`r would be great...i`ll worry about getting him in my net then :rofl:

sooner or later i need to get a big a#% net,mines ok but may strugle with a 50+"?

Bob S

Hey Larry!

The trip was good but had the potential to have been GREAT! Mike and I decided we were going to try the casting routine this time around with the hopes that we could find some fish holding the last the green weeds before they die off and the fish move to deeper water again.

The day started with me hooking up on my 3rd cast! After a short fight, we landed the fish and had a quick release. The fish was mid 30's. It came on a jointed X-Rap (Black/Silver Shad). A few casts later Mike has a nice one follow to the boat (upper 30's/low 40's). Couldn't get him to take. This was all around Pendergrast point.

We then headed down to Chautaqua Bay and long point. Couldn't get anything going there except Mike had a school of small mouths following his 9" Perch bait back to the boat every cast for a while in Chautauqua Bay. They wouldn't hit the bait, just swim along with it - it was pretty funny to watch but no muskies.

We then headed up to Lighthouse point and started throwing a 6" Sledge Hammer (black). I was really impressed with this lure (over a similar LEO that I was throwing) cause it always "backed up" when I paused it instead of just floating straight up. The action on the Sledge Hammer was very impressive and it wasn't long after I tied that on that I hooked up with another. This one was low 30's and was quickly released to grow bigger.

After that is when things started to get exciting...........

With two fish already caught and a couple more follows, we headed back to Pendergrast Point and tried casting some more. It didn't take long before we had a beast (Mike guessed it to be upper 40's) follow the sledge back to the boat. He was really hot on the bait and followed it for a couple figure 8's but missed the bait every time he went to strike. Exciting as it was we couldn't get any hooks in him.

Thinking that would have been our last sighting for the day, and pretty satisfied already with the number of fish we had seen and boated we were ready to call it a night. We tried a few more casts and sure enough "the beast" appears. I saw the biggest muskie I have ever seen in Chautauqua following inches behind my bait. Aside from its incredible length (Mike guessed it be 52" or 53"), it had some shoulders on him that rendered me speechless! He followed for a figure 8 or two and then swam away. Mike switched quickly to his 9" perch bait and tossed in the direction the fish swam away towards. Mike's first cast and the beast strikes at his lure (T-bone) and I thought we had him but we never got the hooks in. At this point in time I could hardly walk I was so excited and heartbroken at the same time. He would have made for an amazing replica mount........ but thats fishing for you.

Capt. Mike has put over 70 muskies in the boat this year and he claims that was easily the biggest fish he has seen all year by a long shot.

So to all you guys headed down there this coming weekend..... I can say from first hand experience yesterday that there is something that lurks in those waters around Pendergast point that will make any fisherman lucky enough to see him or hook him a very happy man!

Best of luck!

Chad, I'm getting excited sitting here reading about your casting adventure and Hawg Visit! This summer the NY DEC had a trap net just to the left of the Prendergast Launch and caught a Fattie 52 to 53 incher they said was the biggest muskie they ever seen in Chautauqua Lake.I hope the one You & Mike seen is a second Big Girl,would be nice to think there are a few around!

This is going to be the longest November for me not being on the water in Hawg Time!

Capt. Larry

Larry -

I believe it. This hawg came in that same area. The length was one thing but what impressed me the most was the girth and shoulders on this fish. Just the coolest thing - got my heart racing real quick :yes: I'll do my best to keep the stories coming and I am sure the other LOU members will do the same. Hang in there ol' buddy - it won't be long till you are back on the water again. Then you can show us how to put some of those hawgs in the boat!

Chad

WOW....great outing chad and thanks for the update .I`m betting you won`t be forgetting that day any time soon.One thing is for sure,i`ll be hitting that area this weekend but not before brad does.Hopefully he hooks up.Wont be `til saturday for me.When someone writes it the way you did it feels as if you too can see it happening-damn good feeling and gets ya ALL worked up.

Well thanks for that.I`ll post of my adventure next week ,hopefully i can muster half of what you guys encountered.Great job :clap::yes:

Bob S

GREAT story, well told. you've got me all pumped up for this weekend! I'd better wear my life jacket, 'cause if I saw that monster I'd not only be speechless, my knees would probably buckle and send me over :D

I hope you get another chance at that beast this year...glad you had a good outing. :yes: