what are the best reels for trolling?

i have switched over to all shimano LC. i have 2-500's for planners, i have 4-600's for rigger's and 2-700's for wire. next puschase will be the 800's for copper. in my little world i haven't found a tougher more reliable reel. i went the cabella depht raider thru the several modles of okuma's along with the daiwa's they just did not stand up to the abuse. kings on lake O killed the drags sent them back in to be repaired used them once and gave them away. GO WITH SHIMANO and in the long run you will be farther ahead GOD bless rollie

For a lot less money than the Shimano you should also check out the Daiwa SG47LCA. I have a bunch of then on board and they've never missed a beat in several years of Lake Ontario abuse. They sell for about $95 ea. and in my opinion are the best reel out there in that price range. If you're in the market for a premium reel, no doubt the Shimano Tekota is a great choice, but Daiwa now has a reel that is going to be giving the Tekota a run for its money. The Daiwa Saltist Levelwind is a fabulous reel that's going to price out about the same as the Tekota: http://daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=504

If you want to buy the best, go with the Shimano Tekotas. 500 lc's would be fine for the Finger Lakes and Brown trout on LO. Maybe a little overkill but you asked what the best reels were. 600 lc's are what I use for riggers and wire on LO and 700 and 800's for copper and let me tell you they are sweet. If you can afford it get the best. No more upgrades after that.

Glen

I should add that I also have a couple of the Daiwa Accudepth Plus reels...I use them for wire divers, and they've been really good too. And they're even less money than the SG series. Last time I looked they were going for about $65 ea. Frankly, they might just be the best bargain in reels out there today.

guys thanks for all the help... i think im going to go with the daiwa accudepth plus.. however the tekota's are tempting ... if i can find a nice 4 pack of used ones i might bite..

any suggestion on rods...im not a huge fan of spending a ton of money on rods ...do you guys think it makes a huge difference?

I agree with Billy V about the SG27 and 47 LCs. I've had mine for years without any problems and for less than a 100 bucks they are hard to beat. I'm sure the Shimanos are great reels, but for the price, the Diawa's serve very well.

I have a few Penn Senator 113s and a few Penn 330 GTI levelwinds.I use them both on Lake Ontario and for Striper and Cod fishing off Gloucester. . The Penns were all bought on Ebay (used) for less than $40 a piece. All they needed was a cleaning ,some lube and a set of drag washers.I have yet to see a reel that beats a Penn.

I have used Penn, Shimano Charter, Okuma and have now switched over to AVET JX and LX models. They are made in California out of aluminum and have the best drag I have ever used. They are pricey compared to the others and they do not have a level wind. I used them this summer for the first full season and loved them. They both are the same size reel except the LX is wider. JX holds about 300 yds of 30 lb mono and Lx holds just under 400 yds.

I have the daiwa accudepth plus reels...fantastic reels for the $$. they have aluminum spools (another guy on here had 2 okuma plastic spools blow out on him so its metal all the way for me :yes: ).

just upgrade the drags and you have a FLAWLESS reel. smooth progression even cinched down good. I put put detailed instructions for swapping them out and a link to buy then on this site a while back. good luck

here it is: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9596

good luck :beer:

NM

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png