2009 reports

Legacy

Well its been a little over a week into the season and i thought i would look for some reports. I havent seen a whole lot yet but I have gotten some reports of small bucks chasing does in the past 4-5 days. Yesterday, at about 9:40 am, i saw a 3 1/2 year old 8 pt (nice deer 110-120") traveling with a doe.

It is starting to heat up for sure. Friday had a quick stop home to pick up some things about 5:30. Down below our pasture on the woods edge two bucks were jousting, the bigger bodied brute was having his way with what looked to be a yearling. After about 5 minutes the young buck took off and the other worked up a scrape. Midday Saturday I poked around down there and found fresh rubs and 2 scrapes. If you believe in hunting by the moon, (which I do), then the middle of next week will be the time to hit the woods hard as the bucks will be looking for and probably finding lots of love. ;)

Greg

tried rattling late morning on Friday and had 5 bucks come in.. the biggest hung out in the field and wouldn't come in.. Had a small 6 point that was looking for a fight..

Seems like the majority of the deer movement is right at and after dark.. Field behind my camp is loaded with deer all night long.. That will change shortly,a s it always does..

I have seen a lot of several small buck chasing does but they wanted nothing to do with the bucks and ran off. I am surprised that there is so much rutting activity this early since I thought the rut was supposed to be later this year. I haven't been seeing much in the way of activity until about the last 45 minutes before sun down.

I do not know where most of you guys are hunting but in Allegany County the weather has not cooperated and the foilage is still thick. We are seeing some nice pics on our trail cameras and some nice rub lines especially by my stand. We have seen some young bucks couple of 4 points,2 nice 6 points (still to young) and 2 spikes but we have pics of 2 real nice mature bucks one especilly is an 8 point around 140". We will see how the season progresses.

Shade

We're seeing the same in Pike, Wyoming Co. as Rob indicated with a "classic rut" brewing. So far I have seen smaller bucks "jousting" and not at all interested in the many doe around. Saw bucks together the first weekend and none together this past weekend. I had two mature bucks at separate times Saturday evening walk right by groups of doe feeding. The first one hung up at 60 yds and never presented a shot. I watched the other much bigger definitely wall hanger buck make a scrape at 50 yds and started to walk toward me when a fourwheeler came up over the knoll clearing the field of deer. :@ Scrapes and rubs are increasing daily. Normally we would have seen the beginning of the chase phase this past weekend, but no indications of such where we were. Still the best time of year to be out there. Good luck to all.

Shawn

i hunted about 45 hours hear in wayne county and have 2 misses , clean misses which is good. saw alot of does , and 5 little guys , missed a fair buck opening day 8 am 830 am 3 does came in and headed down funnell , 845 a group of 7 does came threw went same way . 915 am a single doe and a grunt off a ways she ran off like a banshee and heard grunt one more time . that was it sat ... sun am same 7 does came in same run same route.. 20 gauge NO PROBLEM...... made shootin holes!!!!! mon am scrubby buck came in from behind me . wind changed from the weekend . tues nothin wed 2nd miss from 4 wheeler path . thurs nuttin . fri evenin had doe run in and stop in the funnel and on the run from the opener steps out a spike gruntin seconds go by and the horny six pointer comes rushin in and stops puts his hair up tail up and starts walkin to mister bad @@@ spike so i say k lets draw on miss priss no she heads down the funnel in a trott with both bucks on her @@@ sat pm had the six from the evenin last come out of nowhere on 4wheeler path walk rite down my tracks and stop rite and the bottom of my tree , heart was bangin i tell ya with him rite under me you dont no what what was runnin in my head i thought he was going to go over the stone fence and go rite in my 12inch lane . NO !! so let the game begin . i turn to my head to the right and look down and he is just standing there lookin and lookin . i was sittin so i turned brought the bow around he turns . ok . i get stood up start lookin for a openin he stops . f@@@ go the other way . no . so i find a spot he steps . stops . i get half drawn he turns walks rite in line witk the tree im usin for cover . so i watch him walk . sun nuttin

ill be out this weekend friday see ya buy

well i ve gone out every day morning or afternoon one morning 4 doe 12 yards away 1 night one big doe about 18 yards away but no shot am getting tired of not seeing anything go sit for 6 hrs a day and not seeing anything makeing it a very long season good area but there no movement at all so i have no index what to do anymore seeing them on the camera going when there on camera but then nothing have good stand placement would like to see something to shoot my freezer is getting low need to get some meat

Last night (Oct 28), i hunted a stand that is on the edge of a 3 acre doe bedding area and borders a cornfield. At about 4:30 i had a 3 pt show up at my stand with his nose to the ground. He spent the next 2+ hours in and out of the bedding area on every trail he could find but i dont think anyone was home.

Last night (Oct 28), i hunted a stand that is on the edge of a 3 acre doe bedding area and borders a cornfield. At about 4:30 i had a 3 pt show up at my stand with his nose to the ground. He spent the next 2+ hours in and out of the bedding area on every trail he could find but i dont think anyone was home.

sometimes those are the best nights in the stand. i love watching those youngins running all over the place.

Went out last night (Nov 1) and it seems that in my area the rut is progressing with some better bucks at least checking out some doe. They aren't chasing like the small yearlings are but they are getting more and more aggressive to other bucks and went from doe to doe. Saw plenty of movement around so it won't be long now....