Erie Canal Fishing-Better than you would think!

idn713

Hey I just thought I would throw this post up here or anyone looking for some interesting info. This summer I fished the Erie Canal extensively and found some suprising results. The first and most suprising result was I caught ALOT of Smallmouth Bass. I would just take a crayfish or darkcolored crank and cast parallel to the bank only about four to five feet from the rocks and reel in fast. Man I tell ya the strikes I got were vicious. I mean those bass would murder the lure and then fight like madmen. Another effective tactic was to twitch a baby bass Senko worm rigged up Texas style and weightless. Cast this parallel to the bank about 8-10 ft from the bank and let it sink all the way to the bottom then fish it like a jig back to you, oh and hold on, because the smallies cannot stand this. Between the Senko and the crank I would catch alot of bass each outing and while the fish were not monsters they had decent size to them. I did catch quite a few over 17 inches. Also in the canal is pike. Now these suckers have an attitude in the canal. Just cast that crank along the bank close to sundown and you could tangle with a good sized pike. I caught one that ran 27 inches! Moral of this post is if a few of you guys live near the canal dont overlook giving it a few casts. It can be very productive when fished right and can offer alot of entertainment, especially if you only have time for a hour of castng. Give it a shot in the late spring all the way through summer, you may be suprised at what you find.