Need Advice!

idn713

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me with a trout problem I am having. I fish a certain stream for stream brown trout and brookies, and I usuall have great success. A few trips back I found a really deep (4-5 ft) hole that had monster stream trout stacked in it. I mean for stream trout these things are enormous, the problem however is I cant get them to take anything. I have thrown small spinners in the hole and drifted worms and flies into the hole to no avail. My presentation is ultralight with really small hooks, I make sure to approach the hole so the trout cant see me and I stand quite far away from it when I cast and I always cast before the hole and not into it. I cant see what I am doing wrong and I just want these trout to take something. Also I have fished this hole like three to four times so its not for lack of trying I am coming up short. Anyone got any insight into my stream trout problem?

There are a lot of holes like the one you are talking about in the ausable river up near lake champlain where i live and the only time i've gotten these giants to bite are at first light or last light, they are very picky. With these big fish it's all about hitting the spot when a hatch hatches and being able to match it. hope this helps a little

nightcrawlers after a rain when its a little muddy,or salted minnows with tiny weight sorta jig it along bottom just inches at a time then stop for 20 30 sec then twitch again(when its clear) and enjoy the show....just release them less you get the big one for mounting there good breeders....

This time of year, the trout are getting set to spawn. Their innards are full of spawn stuff and there is little room for feed. After the spawn happens, they go on the feed ravenously. The rainbows are in the streams now to feed on the eggs, etc. They spawn in the spring and when the water reaches 45 degrees, they head back to the lake. The rainbows shut down on their feeding in February.