Removing Paint, and a Starter Question

Jolly II

Now that the boat is winterized I'm looking ahead at projects on the boat to keep me busy this winter.

The hull of my boat has a thin coat of spray paint on it. Not sure why the previous owner did that, I'm assuming he did that instead of a gelcoat polish job. Now it's starting to look worse than it did before as the paint is coming off from dock rub, and the occassion collision from a downrigger ball. Does anybody have any good methobs to get the spray paint off without messing up the gelcoat???? I'd like to take off the paint, and then get a coat of polish on the gelcoat. Would make for a much nicer looking boat.

Ok now for the starter question....

I just winterized the boat a couple of weeks ago. During the process of the intial start-up to get the engine and outdrive warm the engine started hard. Unfortunately due to moving to a new house my boat sat for almost two months, obviously a lot of engines would start a little hard. Apparently there was such a draw from the battery that the battery posts got so hot they melted. I've never had that happen before. I'm starting to think that perhaps my starter motor is on it's way out, and causing a super strong draw, or perhaps something else, like a short somewhere??? It's a mercruiser 3.7Liter. I haven't had a lot to get a voltage meter out and check the resistance, but I'm thinking that may be a place to start. Any insight to that would help too.

Just trying to get a jump on this stuff so that when deer season ends I've got my head screwed on straight.

Thanks

Chris

To remove the paint try Zip-strip, I used this product and it works great. It comes in a gel form, you brush it on, wait a few minutes. then scrape it off with a plastic drywall knife. When I say scrape that may be an overstatement as the paint will just bubble off. I had no problem with it affecting the gelcoat. Depending on the age of your boat you may want to consider repainting the boat with a quality marine paint vs polish. Get it at any hardware store.

My guess on the starter issue is that you didn't have a good connection at the battery terminal ends and the resistance created the heat. Your starter is probably OK. Just need to make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight.

Chris- After researching this topic this past spring to clean bottom paint off my Penn Yan,I found Peel Away Marine Safety Strip by Dumond Chemicals to be my best choice.(I neither work for nor recieve any kick-backs from this company) but it worked awesome! Just paint or spray it on,lay the paper over that is provided,wait aprox.6-12 hours and scrape off to gel-coat finish. I had two coats of bottom paint and removed it with no problems. this stuff is also safe to work with. Be careful of those "i heard this works" chemicals. Many chemicals harm a fiberglass gel-coat finish. This stuff is not cheap but less than 1 gallon finished whole boat. Be careful to tape off stripes/decals as it will peel them off! best of luck with what ever you decide.

Chris- I also have a 3.7 and replaced the starter myself this year. If you look on line there pretty expensive but the Boat US in Ironquit sold me one 4 $99. there usually about double.. If i was you and you think u might have to replace it, Call and c if they still have any. they had 2 more when i bought mine and at the time i almost picked them up also. you have 2 remove the heat exchanger 2 get 2 it but its pretty easy. also, bring it in with you so you can make sure its counter or clock wise, i forget all that and how you can tell. good luck, and hope to god you never have to replace the whole engine, i had mine rebuilt shortly after$$$$$$$$$

Thanks you guys for all the info, I appreciate it. Gives me a great place to start and something else to think about and figure out while in the tree stand.

Tree Top Flyer, I've heard nightmarish stories about having to rebuild that motor. I pray I never have to do it. You should be granted sainthood for having to do it. :)