"THE RIGHT THING"

ray koziatek

Well the bow season for 09 has been a fun one. First as all us bow hunters know the pre shot can be the best time in the woods ,with all the action from chipmonks ,chick-a-dees,to the hawk that flew at me at eye level and landed 2 ft above my head. This year i saw a full sized martin the size of a big house cat (first for me),many racoons including a family of three marching to there den without a care in the world. I had the experience of rattling in a monster buck as we know they always go downwind ,this one came in grunting so we chatted till he smelled HUMAN , at 40 yds. I knew i could have this one if i played my cards right. So i made a mock scrape put down the doe pee and came back the next night. Well as the "witching hour" approached , a small 4pt comes out at 7 yds with a hanging front leg from trying to beat a car. As i watch him walk (limp) to 50 yds i make the decision not to let the dogs do there thing with him ,so i grunt and he spins his head around ,then continues to feed away (first jig) , so at 75 yds i grunt again and he whips his head around but keep the tail to me(second twitch), then at 100 yds i grunt the 3rd time and he turns his body (hookup). i slide the tube back in my jacket, clip on the release and in about 20 seconds he cant stand it no more and comes running right to the mock scrape and gives it a good sniffing at 10 yds . Then he continues looking for the grunter at 17 yds i decide to do "THE RIGHT THING" in a tenth of a second my arrow finds the lungs. But instead of going after it i go to the land owner and get his 16 year old son to "help me track the deer" .It was his first time tracking and he flew to his feet and beat me to the door. Well as we drove out the field my heart sank as a beautiful 10 pt was kicking the crap outa my new scrape and bounded away. Well i took the kid to the spot and the trailing :lol: began .. I showed him the splatter patten to tell direction,the kicked up leaves,and the foamy blood to confirm lung shot. as we trailed i also showed the little worms who always seem to find blood as fast as it drops.......Then WE find the trophy and i give him the light and show him his "first field dressing job" i did the instructions starting from placing a small piece of greenery(grass or pine) in the deers moulth and thank God for this deer and give its spirit its last meal (old indian tradition taught me 40 years ago). Then after finished we check out the stomach contents to see what it was eating (corn "yes" and of course grass and acorns).Then i expane every thing from them little blood eating worms ,coons,scavangers,and finally the crows picking the stomach will benifit from this deers life....or death. The kid said that was the coolest thing hes done in a long time and thanked me many times.. So I know i did "THE RIGHT THING" and 2 familys will enjoy the meat from this "trophy" buck . and im freed up to get more work done before my trip to Indiana for my BIG rack trophy...Be safe ,sucessful,and maybe the trophy of a lifetime for you will have a few less points than expected...................................

Ray K.

WoW :o:yes::yes: I gotta say that is one of the best "postings" I've read. Really felt like I was there. Way to go Ray! That boy has now entered "hunting manhood" and will be sharing that experience with all his buddies and hopefully his grandkids. Is is sure nice to see that people still do "The Right Thing". :clap::clap::clap: Good luck, I hope ya get that Trophy in Indiana.

Thanks for sharing!

Shawn

Good luck in Indy Ray. Seen lots of HUGE bucks along my travels there. Some unfortunate incidents of car or truck (yuck) encounters along I-80. Several of these deer lost their

head..not sure why that happens..can't eat the bony protrusions from the skull, and I guess some unproductive hunter has to have a story and trophy rack to brag about like they got it themselves or something.

Yours is a great story and one that is truthful and heartfelt. I'm sure that there will be a posted pic of your reward for being a good sportsman and mentor for the uninitiated newcomers to the world of outdoor sporting activities. Safe hunting my friend, and a wish for your success in the trophy you pursue. Your skills are in the hands of the spirit of the ancients, use them to the highest power "Bald Eagle" ;)

Mark

Ray,

Very nice story and congrats on being a fine sportsman and doing the right thing. I am sure the Boy will remember all of that also and hopefully you started him out to be a true young sportsman, and some day he will do the right thing also.

Thanks Greg