New NYS Life Jacket Law

stinger

HB, What if you are a good fisherman and know where the fish are and what they are eating. Isn't it a logical conclusion that you would catch more fish with fifty lines in the "zone" versus one? Just a thought.

Stinger thanks for the reminder, I fish Niagara quite a bit and have been meaning to purchase an inflatable, I better get around to it. We have a pretty good CC presences and I'm not sure who is going to enforce it.

I take my wife fishing with me so I can run more lines. I asked a DEC officer if I paid for a fishing license for my dog if I would be able to run two more. Both love being on the boat with me so why not take advantage of a good situation. Ray have you gotten a "valid" birth certificate for your inflatable friend yet?

Please excuse my manners , Thanks for the reminder Stinger. I am sure many will get tickets becuse they don't know or will forget. I belive in making what you have work eficiently. Did you read my post on the fishing EFA.?

No I didn't read your EFA post HB. I'll have to do a search and check it out.

The main reason for the reminder of the new PFD law was more for the safety aspect than dodging tickets. I made a similiar post down in the Finger Lakes Section because of the winter fishing. I added these lines on that post.

"Just remember if you go over in that 37-40 deg water you won't last long but if your wearing a life jacket at least your family will have a body for the funeral and you'll be saving the local emergency personal a lot of time & money."

This is what I use. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 0_225-17-0

no... if your partner is inflatable she (or he) does not need a pfd ,but you do need a license for your partner to run 2 extra rods ..I got caught with 27 rods in the water and told the dec 25 were my partners ,so not being able to pay the fine she was sent to jail for 90 days patch kit and all. she has gained 40lbs and i think she is pregnat now. Were not talking and i might just pull the plug on her ,and look for a new friend ...PS ..more lines means more fish for shure we were pounding them that fatefull day.

Maybe your inflatable friend can be counted as a pfd. I wonder if you have to be wearing her (or him ) for it to count ? And on the front or back ? These questions need to be addressed by the DEC ! You can tell winter is closing in LOL.

The law as it states applies to boats less than 21 feet. I think Im good to go my boat is not LESS than 21 Feet it IS 21 ft. ;) What do you guys think?

The law as it states applies to boats less than 21 feet. I think Im good to go my boat is not LESS than 21 Feet it IS 21 ft. ;) What do you guys think?

I believe it says less than 21 ft, not 21 ft or less, so IMO, you should be good to go.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

As this is a NY Stae law , it is my understanding that the CG is not responsible for enforcing it. The enforcement falls to the DEC and the troopers and sherriff . I was stopped for a safety check by the CG once, when I got to the distress flag ( NY requirement) the coastie said that was not one of the items they inspect or require.

This not about life jackets. It is about "death jackets". When I was in the Coast Guard we recovered many bodies. In the summer time, when the water temperatures were high, a body would float up in about 72 hours. In the winter time, it may take up to 30 days to float up. The relatives will get closure faster, their insurance claims settled faster and search agencies can get back to the regular routines faster.