Seneca 11-1

Tripleduece50 and I hit the south end and boated 9 landlocks. All riggers and no takers on flasher/fly. Must be lakers are spawning? Water temp was 54 on surface. Green dolphin spoon was hot.

I have to say that the new life preserver law stinks. I need to buy a nice and comfortable one I guess.

I have boated 6 Lakers, in the last 2 days on the south end of Seneca between Watkins Glen and "Salt Point" (as it used to be called) on the west side. A few weeds and a hint of fleas but no real trouble. The west side was weedy so I did not go there. All the fish were between 3-4 pounds and all hit a green and silver fly behind a silver flasher...both fly and flasher have an "e-chip" and have been generously sprayed with GULP, herring flavored goop. Five fish on riggers at 65-70 FOW over 120 to 200 foot bottom, and one on medium dipsey, with 220 ft of wire out, boat speed 2.2-2.6 mph. Also, lost two similar fish at the boat.

A fishing buddy fished the same area today in his own boat and boated at least 7 fish, 5 of which were nice, fat LL that hit gold and orange spoons in 40 FOW. He was still catching fish when I headed for the dock at about 4:OOPM. All the fish I caught and cleaned were stuffed with fresh saw bellies, so they are back on the feed. I continue to mark many, many fish in the entire water column, and interestingly, marked lots of fish way deep between 180-250 FOW today for the first time since summer.

I am tempted to fish deep one day soon with a three way swivel, a pound of lead and a Sutton 88.

I am pleased with all this because I am starting to understand the flasher/fly method and am finally catching some fish with the rig. I think the flasher represents a feeding fish which arouses interest for nearby fish and the fly therefore may seem like dinner. I like fishing the flasher/fly off the rigger as it is very simple and easy to handle.

Cheers,

Andrew

Tripleduece50 and I hit the south end and boated 9 landlocks. All riggers and no takers on flasher/fly. Must be lakers are spawning? Water temp was 54 on surface. Green dolphin spoon was hot.

I have to say that the new life preserver law stinks. I need to buy a nice and comfortable one I guess.

Just buy a bigger boat and and that will take the new law out of it :lol:

the easiest way to catch spawning lakers is to run 2 rods with 10 ft off the bottom with 10 ft leads. set up fishfinder to read the bottom. look for the lakers once you find then troll past the for a sec put ur boat in netural for couple of sec, let ur lure sink down into there face put back in forward and watch ur rods pop. anything green or yellow works the best.

i showed this trick to kremer the last time we were out and he was suprised.