leupold scope problem

maisie

Has anyone ever had a problem with a Leupold scope? I have VX-I 2-7x33. Every time i shoot it is different. and yes i clean the gun. I took it to be bore sighted. Thought i had it fixed, shot well. and decided to tweak it. it dropped six inches and no matter how i adjusted the scope it stayed in the same spot. No, it's not me. i hit the same hole twice. i'm shooting on a rest. I think i need a new scope. but not a Leupold. This is probably the wrong forum. but there ya go

Maisie

Make sure you have the correct ring size for your scope. They make a 30mm and a 1 inch and if you have the wrong size ring it could be causing your scope to move. What caliber are you shooting? It is possible that you damaged the scope. I have had that happen myself while shooting a muzzleloader but it was a Nikon Monarch UCC not a Leupold.

I would take the mounts off and put them back on with loc tite. remount your scope and bore sight it. Then try to shoot a 3 shot group with it at 25 yrds before you adjust it. If it will group ok at 25 try adjusting your scope and try another 3 shot group. If you cannot adjust it send it back to Leupold they will repair it at no charge. I have broken lenses on Leupold scopes before and sent them back for repair at no cost.

I have had that same problem 2 time's and both time's it turned out to be a bad scope inside, and the second one was a brand new out of the box scope that i replaced the first one with and still could not get it to group it would hit in a group 2-3 shoots and then jump all over the board on me and then group 2-3 times again but the third scope work like it should and and i don't care what brand scope you buy there is always a small chance that it could be bad right out of the box and Leupold is a very good scope

thanks for all your input. The ring size is corrrect as i had it mounted at a gun shop. the gun is a Remington 870 20ga i've tried everything. i'm going back to the gun store tomorrow. they are very helpful. i will probably return the scope and put another on fur hunting. what a pain.

maisie

I have a rifled barrel on my 20ga 870. it is a youth model as i am a lady and it just fits better. I shoot lightfield sabots. So i went to Beikirch gun store. they have been helping me with this and must say they are really nice, and knowledgeable. When i showed the people there how my gun was shooting they called an expert marksman to help me. They bore sighted the scope and then put the scope down to factory zero and we tried all over again. They said that the scope was acting fine on the bench. we went to a shooting range and within 9 bullets had it dead on. I shot it and it was wonderful. I am not going to clean it until after hunting season because that seemed to affect the shooting. the Marksman also said that this type of scope has discs that rotate unstead of the usual clicks you get when you sight in a scope. and with these discs you go past the number you want then back off to the number. LIke you want to go from 3 to 4 you go past 4 then back off to three. He said this sighting problem wasn't my fault. And that the scope is fine. It seems fine, i'm not going to pull the trigger again until i see a deer. thanks for the interest. My husband and son don't really trust it scope. i guess time will tell.

I have a 1 x 4 Leupold (not sure of the model) on an 11-87 w/ a hastings barrel. I shot lightfields out of it off a bench last year and it would group a few nicely, then throw 1 or 2 way out of the group. try to make an adjustment and then it would go haywire, No consistancy to the movement of the next shot relative to the adjustment made?? :@ I gave up after a while and blamed the ammo. But after asking around there wern't many complaints with the lightfields. Maybe it is the scope?? :no:

I shoot a 11-87 with a Bushnell 1.75-5.0 and a Hastings barrel pined with Light Fields. the gun can shoot a 2"group at 100yds. Never had a bit of trouble with the scope,gun or amo.

On the lam, did you check the scope mount to see if it loused up?

My son and I have a 1.5-5 power mounted on our .44 mag lever action. Only time it acted crazy at sight in time the mounts were loose.

I had the same scope in my 870 slug gun/cantilever style rifled barrel..no problems at all. I love the Leupold's. If that scope is not cantilever mounted, MAKE SURE that barrel is tight. If its not slugs will scatter everywhere.

Good luck.. sounds like its ready now :yes:

I shoot a 11-87 with a Bushnell 1.75-5.0 and a Hastings barrel pined with Light Fields. the gun can shoot a 2"group at 100yds. Never had a bit of trouble with the scope,gun or amo.

On the lam, did you check the scope mount to see if it loused up?

Im gonna give it another go, check the mounts and the barrel. hope to get it straightened out. thanks :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have put Leupold scopes on 3 guns now. I broke 2 scopes in 2 years on my 30-06 then put the leupold on, no more problems. Put a 1-4x20 on my slug gun replacing a simmons (that performed fine) and haven't had a problem, shoots one ragged hole at 75 yds. Now the third scope is on my Marlin Guide gun 45-70. This scope has a problem. When it's mounted on the gun, the power ring is very hard to turn. You cannot turn it with gloves on. I called Leupold about it and we troubleshooted it, making sure the mounting ring is not too close, pinching or twisting something. Since this is on a rail system so I moved the back ring as far forward as I could. The problem persisted and Leupold said send it back, the o-ring is probably bad, it shouldn't be that hard. It's not that hard to turn on my other 2 scopes. That scope usually stays on 2x rarely getting turned up so I've hunted with it 2 seasons now just because when seasons over it goes in the closet and gets forgotten till next season and then I don't want to mess with it during season. Leupold will stand by their warrantee if it's the scope, I just haven't sent it in yet (maybe this year now that I think of it).

3 guys I hunt with shoot 12ga Browning Auto 5's (these are tough on scopes). One guy has had a Leupold over 30 or so years on his, the other about 8 years both without a single problem. The third guy has broke 3 or 4 scopes in 10 years and has ended up spending way more than it would have cost to buy one Leupold shotgun scope. I know how and how much we shoot and I would spend the money on another Leupold in a heartbeat.