canal northerns

you may not know this but the canal system is loaded with pike. there are a lot of good spots,especially any of the spillways. wherever there is fast water there are pike in the nearest slack water. ganargua creek from palmyra to newark is good as is the aquaduct at lock 29 in palmyra,behind mobil in macedon,mud mills in newark. there are tons of pike behind garlocks in palmyra,you need a canoe or kayak to get there. launch at swift's landing park in palmyra and paddle up red creek. or go from swift's to newark;the fishing can be great. walleyes as well. the widewaters between palmyra and newark are good too,though mostly for bass. there is a decent launch on 31 just east of newark. i live on the canal and have picked it apart for years. i caught 2 pike at swifts on the way to work friday,in my white shirt and tie. i just lowered a spinnerbait into the current from the cement wall and let the current work it for me. it's something to do when you don't want to take the boat out.

good deal :yes: everytime I pass over the wide waters near macedon I tell myself I should give it a whirl. thanks for the encouragement. just might have to break out the canoe too...been decades since I paddled the ganargua.

come to think of it I haven't used 'arm power' since stepping up to the big leagues.. 'cept for maybe pushing off a shallow bar a few times :$:lol:

is there a launch closer to macedon that will accomodate a trailered boat?

NM

There is a launch in Macedon down the dirt road in front of the fire dept. off rt. 350. It can be difficult for a solo launch because of the 10mph current in the creek there. But nice launch, plenty of parking. Head west up the canal to the bridge at Wayneport rd. Then work the dropoff on the south side back east all the back to the thin water. Spoons spinners and cranks have all produceed for us in that section. It can be hot I have caught Smallies Pike Walleye and Largemouth all in the same day there! Smallies mostly around the bridge. West of the brige in front of the bull rushes can be good for pike too! Good Luck.