Wind Turbines on Lake Ontario!

You people MUST attend these meetings! We can cackle on these sites forever. That will acomplish nothing. You need to be heard. You will be amazed at the info they have available there, about f-----n windmills. Only then you will become more involved.

I just read some partial info about the involvement of a BP executive at " The Great Lakes Institute For Energy Innovation" at Case Western Reserve University.

The (ex??)executive is Dianne D Anderson. She is now the executive director of the afore mentioned institute.

Does anybody know about any connection between Kessel and Anderson?

To have a BP official sticking her oily fingers in our Great Lakes would be a first step to change from wind mills to test drilling for gas and oil in Lake Ontario.

She has been a marketing president at BP for many years until named to current post.

http://blog.case.edu/case-news/2008/10/ ... neanderson

They both support the same objective and have the same goal. IMO, to put a "positive spin" on projects that will destroy a national treaure whose value as fresh water is far greater than supplying minimal energy needs and also BTW brings more money into local economies than their projects ever could.

As to oil wells in the Great Lakes: The Canadians have operational wells in Lake Michigan

http://detnews.com/article/20100602/POL ... illing-ban

and Lake Erie:

http://www.theglobalwarmingawareness.co ... l-and-gas/

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Q: Will offshore wind turbines have a negative effect on property values?

A: In December 2009, the Environmental Energy Technologies Division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory published “The Impact of Wind Power Projects on Residential Property Values in the United States: A Multi-Site Hedonic Analysis†(http://eetd.lbl.gov/ea/ems/reports/lbnl-2829e.pdf). While offshore sites were not part of this study, the report analyzed residential home sales from 10 communities surrounding 24 existing wind farms across the United States and concluded that “neither the view of the wind facilities nor the distance of the home to those facilities is found to have any consistent, measurable, and statistically significant effect on home sales prices.â€

Guys all I can tell you is having been a Realtor for 28 yrs. and after reading this, I am sickened. This is a complete joke. Who wants to buy a property on the lake with a nice view of turbines? They must be kidding right? No affect on value? How stupid do they think the public is? Id like to put a turbine farm in front of the home of the director and see how fast he changes his tune. This is a horribly wicked idea for property owners, fisherman, and nature lovers and conservationists. I hope there is some kind of public vote on this rather than having it rammed down our throat. WTF

This report was funded by the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy

I really don't need to say anymore than what they print on the cover page, do I?

But I will: Look at the acknowledgements. Every one of them has an interest in windfarms.

To prove my point: I think Ray K is the greatest fisherman of the 21st century. If he paid 100 guys on this board $50 to agree and post that he is, he'd probably get national recognition. :clap: (Ray - take a bow & don't forget to send me a good check...)

Back to the report:

They really don't go into motivations for selling the homes. I.E. They didn't say if people sold their homes because they lost their jobs in the recession, job transfer, etc. What of the people that would like to move because of the turbines but can't afford to?

I really like the statement at the bottom of page xiv:

homes that sold after wind facility construction and that had no view of the turbines were found to have transacted for higher prices – not lower - than those homes that sold prior to wind facility construction
- That’s what people have been trying to tell the power companies. IE when you can’t see them, it helps the property value.

Too bad the authors didn’t read what they themselves wrote!

I also like that they're pointing out short commings of previous studies because previous studies interviewed property owners and real estate professionals whereas these writers didn't.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... ind-towers

The good guy

Rick Antelli: District #7. Charlotte & lake front west. [email protected]

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your support against an offshore windfarm in Lake Ontario off Monroe County that I just read about in the Rochester D&C. It’s nice to know that some legislators care about our environment & community and can see right through the obviously false claims that power companies have historically made.

It is very reassuring to know that someone in the Legislature sees the real value of the lake to our area and will not risk construction activities digging up years of pollution in a USEPA Area of Concern in exchange for turbines which do not produce electricity in the weather that we’ve been having lately. (When it’s needed most)

Sincerely,

Tom Bishop

Rochester NY

The bad guy

Vince Esposito: District #16: Summerville & west side of Irondequoit Bay (excluding Durand) [email protected]

Dear Sir,

I can’t express how disappointed I am by quotes that I read in the Rochester D&C that you would even consider allowing the construction of an offshore windfarm in Lake Ontario off Monroe County.

It is saddening that anyone would even consider the exaggerated claims (historically shown) made by NYPA of jobs and economic benefit when a quick look at the Lake out of Irondequoit Bay or the Genesee River would reveal the real economic impact due to the recreational uses of the water in this area. (Millions spent every year in our area by those people)

It is also very disheartening to think that our County Legislature would contemplate the digging up of a century’s worth of polluted sediments that are finally beginning to become buried, in exchange for power generation sources that are historically undependable in windless weather like we’ve had for the last two weeks. The waters from shore to 150 Ft deep off District #16 are known as the Rochester Embayment which has been declared by the USEPA as an “Area of Concern†due to these polluted sediments and is evidenced by our frequent beach closings.

I seriously hope you give this matter more thought and research the true value the lake provides for our area. The Great Lakes were declared a National Treasure by Presidential Executive Order #13440, President Obama has promised millions to help keep restoration programs funded and we are bound by International treaty to preserve and protect the waters of the Great Lakes, including Lake Ontario.

Sincerely,

Tom Bishop

Rochester NY

I urge you guys to send these fellas some emails. What is done off Monroe will affect everyone that uses the lake.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Sodus to Oswego is one of the target areas, however Wayne county told them NO. I personnally don't trust NYPA, either.

However, my guess is that he was related to the incident in the St Lawrence the other day. A freighter ran aground and had an oil spill. It backed up 16 ships for a couple/few days.

There are no US registered cranes capable of errecting these things. That's what the Jones Act is all about and one of the "BIG" headaches that developers will face, unless they realy pay the politicians/judges off. That's actually a "little guy" compared to what they'll need.

If any of you guys see "anneometers" (sp) then HOLLER real loud. These things are basically real tall flag polls with wind speed cups on top of them.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tim – Thanx for the article. I love it how it has a “pro†spin on it. (Those morons!)

FWIW – The Niagara River and 18 Mile Creek are USEPA Areas of Concern, very similar to the Rochester Embayment. Legislators need to be reminded of that. They also need to be reminded that Occidental lost that big pollution suit and MODIS imagery shows how the water of the river flows out into the lake. I.E. where they want to put it also has polluted sediments. It’s mostly mud, silt & sand so they’ll be digging quite a bit for firm foundations & transmission lines.

I also see that now they want the 50-100FOW depth. i.e more of the nearshore area that the fish depend upon for survival. Didn't DEC say they were studying the lakers at the Niagara as that's possibly a major spawning area?

Here’s a film on a “small†European offshore windfarm from the developer. Has a lot of the construction footage. Look at the real layout of the farm and also look at the size ships they use. Also realize that these turbines are smaller than what NYPA wants in our lake.

http://www.dongenergy.com/Nysted/EN/Abo ... ction.aspx

Here’s another story about the German “windfarm†that proponents love to brag about.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 30,00.html

I’m sure you won’t see proponents talking about the embarassment there. i.e have to replace 6 turbines after only a few months.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

On December 1st, 2009, The New York State Power Authority submitted a request for proposal to potentially build an industrial wind farm off the shores of Lake Ontario and Erie

This proposal would see the construction of 100-166 40ft industrial wind turbines offshore (50-150ft) stretching through from Parma, Greece, Rochester, Irondequoit and Webster with a possible power plant and storage facility location in Irondequoit Bay. There are several other potential projects targeting Niagara, Ontario, and the St Lawrence counties.

We have recently made the news regarding this issue and are looking for your help. We have went door-to-door in our community to raise nearly 700 signatures to oppose this development. I was put to the task to ask the LOU community to join in the fight. This will affect fishing in lake Ontario. Please go to the link provided and sign our petition to oppose the GLOW project in the Great Lakes. WE NEED YOUR HELP!

online Petition started on 7/23/10

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-great-lakes-wind-turbine-development

Legislators won’t revisit Great Lakes wind project

Carol Thompson 07-21-2010

by Carol Thompson

The Oswego County Legislature will not be revisiting the Great Lakes wind tower project, according to Legislature Chairman Barry Leemann.

The majority, which is comprised of 21 members, has not changed their minds, he said.

Legislator Doug Malone attempted to revisit the issue during last Thursday’s legislature meeting by introducing an amendment. Following a discussion and a recess, Malone withdrew his motion.

Malone may bring the matter up at next week’s meeting of the legislature’s Economic Development and Planning Committee, however, the Republican-controlled committee is not expected to make any recommendations to rescind an earlier resolution that objects to the project.

“If it wasn’t for Doug Malone, we wouldn’t even have a discussion on it again,†Leemann said.

The legislature voted in March to oppose a New York Power Authority project that would locate dozens of wind turbines in Lake Ontario. A proposal made by New York Power Authority called for the construction, siting and operation of wind-turbine facilities in Lake Erie and/or Lake Ontario’s eastern basin. The project would include inland transmission lines.

The day after Oswego County legislators rejected the plan, NYPA announced that it is planning to move the project somewhere else. The Jefferson County Legislature had made the same rejection. The project is said to be the first freshwater offshore wind project in the nation.

According to the July 12 issue of the Niagara Gazette, NYPA has proposed the $1 billion wind project for construction of up to 166 wind turbines along Niagara County’s Lake Ontario shoreline, where is it also reportedly being met with opposition.

Wayne County has rejected the plan as well.

Not only has there been a concern of the impact of the turbines on the Great Lakes in regard to boating, fishing and overall tourism, the jobs that the construction would bring are temporary and permanent jobs are few, if any.

“We’ve already been told it won’t create permanent jobs,†Leemann said.

That is the case with the Galloo Island project (see related story). Those lawmakers involved with that project said they have already been told there will be no permanent jobs.

The temporary jobs, because they are so specialized, are likely to be performed by workers brought in from other areas, it was noted at a recent meeting.

Studies are currently underway to determine the impact the turbines have on wild life, including bats and bald eagles.

Dr. Todd Katzner, director of conservation and field research of the National Aviary, has been using satellite telemetry to track golden eagle migration patterns in Pennsylvania, around mountain ridges where wind power development is targeted for development.

Katzner’s research is providing detailed information on the flight paths of these birds who use a narrow swatch along these ridges for migration each year.

The U.S. Department of Energy has awarded the National Aviary’s Department of Conservation and Field Research a $193,000 grant to fund a detailed, multi-year study of the potential impacts of wind energy development in Pennsylvania on migratory patterns and flight behaviors of eastern golden eagles.

Leemann said he has received no word that anyone in the majority is seeking to revisit the issue. “It’s dead as far as I’m concerned,†he said. “No one has come to me and asked to revisit this.â€

- Valley News

• 2 weeks later...

In today's D&C there is a front page article about Power authority not obeying a freedom of Information request by the newspaper.It seems that the Power authority is trying to get in through the back door,by denying information to the tax payers who pay their salary.

Maybe the time has come to publicly question the justification of existence of the power authority.

Ok, here we go again with some sneaky tactics. My neighbor at the lakehouse, who has been on top of the windfarm "project" since it first became public knowledge, provided me with some interesting information over the weekend.

There was a very large vessel out in Mexico Bay recently, floating along from Sandy Pond to Nine Mile. He thought it was a USCG Cutter at first, but learned otherwise. Apparently, this particular boat was refurbished using government stimulus monies and was outfitted with some high-power side imaging cameras. He did some more research and came to the conclusion that this boat may have been out there taking pictures of the sediment and bottom structure of the lake. Hmmm, windfarm studies??? Checking to see what the lake bottom is made of??? He couldn't provide too much information, but isn't giving up and will let me know when he finds out more. Looks like someone is trying to sneak around behind our backs and do this pinwheel research and studies without anyone knowing. :@:@:@

Here’s an interesting site sponsored by the St Lawrence Seaway. A few clicks & you can bring up a live satellite.

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/nav ... index.html

Zoom in on Big-O, then click on “satellite†you can see whatever boats are currently out in the water. Zoom in some more then pan around.

I only saw a few fishing boats in the area. (boats zipping around will have a white trail (wake) behind them.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Here’s an interesting site sponsored by the St Lawrence Seaway. A few clicks & you can bring up a live satellite.

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/nav ... index.html

Zoom in on Big-O, then click on “satellite†you can see whatever boats are currently out in the water. Zoom in some more then pan around.

I only saw a few fishing boats in the area. (boats zipping around will have a white trail (wake) behind them.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I zoomed in on my house, and my boat isn't there and the trees don't have any leaves. Possibly an early spring or late fall picture?