Wind Turbines on Lake Ontario!

This one is scary. Only 100 offshore turbines and they're a little smaller than NYPA wants. 4,000 football fields, $3.1 billion dollars (with a b)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100923/ap_ ... ind_farm_1

Click on one of the pictures to see more photos of what a real offshore farm looks like.

No wonder the Brits needed massive help in World War II.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

AH HA…NYPA is reallocating power that they’ve been supplying to other states and going to put it into St Lawrence County. Oops…you say it’s the low cost Hydro-power????

http://northcountrynow.com/news/nypa-ap ... ent-010483

Nothing against St Lawrence but - Way to go Richie…you admit that you’ve been sending the low cost stuff to other states while you steadfastly push for the higher cost power from turbines here.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

ps - NYPA hired AWS Truewind to do the offshore feasibility study. AWS recomended, in their study, ways to beat the Jones Act and use foreign ships.

Turbine proponents often say windpower will lessen our dependence on Middle Eastern Oil. So here’s a quiz for you: (& it has nothing to do with a 5th grader)

From what specific country do we get the most of our oil (crude & total petroleum products)?

Ans: Canada

Okay, try this one:

From what specific country do we get the second largest amount of our oil stuff?

Ans: Mexico

Oh, oh…Try this one:

From what specific country do we get the 3rd largest amount of our oil stuff?

Ans: Venezuela

Okay, Okay… Middle East (Saudi Arabia) is in 4th place for total petroleum products with 10.6%.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petr ... mport.html

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Just place your pointer arrow on them and highlight letters come on, then right click and the article appears.

These are good, one is a meeting in Niagara Falls and the Dunkirk article shows it costrs 20 cents a KWH for wind power.

Really good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, ricky says NYPA is not being secretive:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... -no-secret

What a bunch of bunk. It wouldn't hurt his financials one bit to say he has "X" number of bids for "Location A" and "Y" number of bids for "Location G."

Look at he picture to see what a real off-shore windfarm looks like. (note only a dozen are shown, NYPA wants 160 turbines with a minimum of 50 per array)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if NYPA, USD of Inferior, turbine proponents & the Monroe County Legislature will pay any attention to this – straight from the UN:

The study released at a conference of the U.N. Convention on Biodiversity held in Nagoya, Japan, attempts to show the economic implications of failing to stop the alarming loss of species and ecosystems due to pollution, overexploitation or habitat destruction.

The emphasis on traditional economic measures such as manufacturing, mining and energy generation needs to change, the U.N. Environment Program argues in the report, the product of two years of research by thousands of experts.

"The time for ignoring biodiversity and persisting with conventional thinking regarding wealth creation and development is over," Pavan Sukhdev, the study leader, said in a statement.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 6563.story

I.E. The NYPA needs to place more value on Birds, Bats, Butterflies, aquatic life & endangered species and less on their tax credits.

Tom B.

(LongLIne)

All these small towns voting against it is purely symbolic," said Ament. "They have no bearing on the progress of this project."

Town Supervisor Mary Joyce D'Aurizio says no matter what resolutions town boards pass, the state can do whatever it wants. The New York Power Authority's CEO says right now there are no identified projects, but there are proposals.

THIS IS WHAT P'S ME OFF THE MOST IN THIS STATE.....IT CAN DO ANYTHING IT WANTS...."EMINENT DOMAIN"

But King Richie has publicly stated many times that he won't put them in communities that don't want them. This is a point that must be brought up & kept in the people's/legislator's minds.

Lake Ontario is too valuable to all of us (The people) to let them (Industrial power co's) ruin it for an experiment and for them to gain tax credits..

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thr real crime is New York State will use its guarantee for "Bonds" to pay for this foolishness. These guarantees will cost New Yorkers when we need schools, bridges or roads since the interest rates will rise due to our negligent spending on this scheme.

Hey guys ( and gals ), I have been following this thread for a while and wanted to weigh in with my thoughts. I work for the New Hampshire Dept. of Transportation and we just visited a local wind farm in Lempster N.H. . To start I could not believe how large and loud these mills are. I also could not help but think how much these monsters would ruin my fishing vacations to Lake O. It seems to me that they could find alternitive places to put these things. I hope this program does not actually take reality. Just my thoughts ! All the best !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A USGS press release announcing they received a “partners in conservation†award:

From the mouth of Sec of the Interior Ken Salazar

The Council of Lake Committees, Great Lakes Fishery Commission, U.S. FWSFWS, and the USGS are recognized for their commitment to a science-based management approach for the conservation and sustainability of the Great Lakes. The Great Lakes fishery is one of the most important freshwater resources on Earth. It’s worth $7 billion, provides recreation to 5 million anglers, supports 75,000 jobs, and contributes to a rich cultural heritage valued by the more than 30 million people who live near the Lakes.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2613

The DEC shared in the award. It’s nice to know that the guy who has the final voice on the sitting of off-shore turbines publicly recognizes how important our National Treasures (the Great Lakes) are to the people.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

So here’s a researcher stating that just raising & lowering water levels on the St Lawrence can release toxins from the sediments. And some people say I’m “strange†because I believe construction of foundations & transmission lines in USEPA Areas of Concern is a major mistake.

http://www.healthcanal.com/environmenta ... rthed.html

Tom B.

(LongLine)