Wind Turbines on Lake Ontario!

"In 20 years, we can tear it down, fix the lake floor..."  HOLD IT!  Developers scam the banks for the money and then after they become rich by selling it off, we - THE TAXPAYERS - have to fix their damage.   BULL FEATHERS!  Turbines only last 20 years before they need replacement - Developers need to fix it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

They're still trying to desecrate the shoreline along the Lake Ontario from Niagara to Braddock. Apex meetings still going on. One scheduled at my sportsman's Club on Lakeshore this coming Tuesday at 7pm. I'm not going to be able to attend due to work, but they don't want to hear my opinion of their pinwheels. I know from experience the eyesore these are in 20 years. Traveling through Tehachapi pass in California will turn your stomach. Imagine the garbage and junk left near your lakeside state parks...puke!
People that want these junk should be the only ones subsidizing the falacy of promises these development companies give you. Give them an inch and they take more than miles....how bout all your access and rights to private and public property. Another Obummer force it down your throat. Gave the IRS power over Congress to fund this crap. Not their job!
Want higher electric bills? ...not me...what's wrong with the electric and heat I have now?...it's still on... and always works when I flip the switch!
No surprises in my bill...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I totally believe Mark is right about this...they are really "scammers" as are the electric companies as well whose lobbyists have pushed out the cost of solar so nobody can afford it to continue their monopoly. Not much will change in this country until they outlaw lobbying such that it becomes a felony to exert influence on a public official and a felony to accept anything of influence from a lobbyist. They need to be cleaned up before anything can be done to effectively improve our system.

It is abundantly clear that nobody wants these monstrously seized windmills in our lakes. At the same time it is also clear that we do need an alternative for our current energy sources because they are destroying our environment. What alternative do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Solar power , Geo thermal , Wind turbines where they don't interfere with and jeopardize natural resources . If they ever get it right , fusion nuclear power ,which doesn't breed nuclear waste .

Solar power , Geo thermal , Wind turbines where they don't interfere with and jeopardize natural resources . If they ever get it right , fusion nuclear power ,which doesn't breed nuclear waste .

Agreed. Millions of acres of corn and soy bean fields are standing quietly under thousands of these out west. No one complains and no natural resources ruined. No state parks or lakes or residential property in the way of the projects like here. Many thousand migratory birds will die passing by these in this location.
There are places for these, just not here. Still doesn't negate the fact that these will become eyesore derelict junk in 20 years. Too bad there's always dirty money tied up in it... started as yours and mine...mismanaged and manipulated by lobbyists and disingenuous developers. When they say these things can be taken down and reversed, you better be prepared to pay again, and if it's your private property, you will front the entire bill. The subsidizing is only for construction not for demolition.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are getting ready to close a nuke plant downstate (two reactors), so I wonder how they will make up for that energy loss. And I wonder who will pay for the demolition and clean up there.

There is always trade offs. The trick is to find solutions with the least amount of impact while balancing the cost and practicality over the long term. Not an easy thing to do due to unknowns. Fusion sounds good but it is something that they have been trying to accomplish for decades and nothing of any large scale has emerged with that technology.

Unfortunately, us taxpayers often have to clean up the mess left by old energy infrastructure as well as other abandoned industrial sites. Heaven forbid the 1%ers who profited from them having to foot the bill. At least some of the costs are covered by re-licensing fees for hydro-electric plants. We are paying for the plugging of many oil and gas wells, scattered around the country, that have been abandoned for years. But I think companies are being held more accountable these days. Probably not enough though.

My brother who lives in the Netherlands,had an interesting comment about alternative energy sources. When he put the solar panels on his roof he told me that it was economically not a smart move, but then he continued and said. " This is not for me,it is for my children and grand children". I think he is right and we should all consider that fact even if the usual robbers try to steal our hard earned tax dollars.

• Like 2

Exactly !!!  Stopping these turbines on Lake Ontario is for our children and grandchildren . In twenty years when the life span of these things is reached , we will have an environmental disaster on our hands . Each turbine contains 800 gallons of lubricating oil . What will happen when one or more leak into the lake ? The article clearly states that they really don't know if the foundations can block ice . We all know how high the wind and waves can get on Lake O . Can these things be guaranteed to survive a strong storm ? No one knows . I am not willing to bet the future of our lake  on assumptions .Put them where accidents don't cause as much collateral damage as they would on our lakes .

• 3 months later...

The ships being built to construct and maintain the wind farms off shore in the North Sea cost over a billion dollars. Just how can you recoup that cost with sometime wind energy? Last summer our governor had to cut state agency power demand because our power grid was failing due to air conditioning demand on hot days. He shut down the coal burners, now he shut down a new gas line to be constructed. Just how are they going to "create jobs" with no electricity for the industrial plants they promise us.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 4 months later...

never mind just on the land base..if any of you ever fly over the english channel..there are huge floating barges of these things...with marker buoys  to keep all boaters out....eye sore from a plane ,can only imagine up close..sacrilege!!..that will be next because they do not require real estate to sit on...

• 2 months later...

General Electric built and installed its 25,000th wind turbine in Northern Germany last month. My father told me that the smoke from Bethlehem Steel means money for the area. Well the smoke is gone and the rest of the world deals with it by building wind farms. Meanwhile the USA falls behind economically every day. New York State shut down our coal burning power plants but secretly buys power from coal burning plants in Pennsylvania and Ohio. Our youth have a grave future coming. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New developments . Apex Clean Energy is trying to get the state of NY to accept their impact statement as submitted . Disregarding the questions raised about the impact on bats and migratory birds . Here's the link to Watertown Daily Times article .   http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/news03/developer-pushes-for-completion-status-on-wind-farm-application--20180306

26 minutes ago, muskybob said:

At what point do you think it's acceptable for revenue and destroying the environment over what we all enjoy and try to conserve on our Great Lakes?

Environment as in skyline is often a local concern. The environment in the Appalachians has been destroyed by strip mining along with black long disease and acid rain. Gas drilling is destroying the water resources in Pennsylvania and causing thousands of small to medium earthquakes daily in Kentucky and Texas. Soon seismic sounding in the Atlantic will do great damage to the marine environment.

That is just a small list out of many more.

We all want our energy to be cheap and plentiful. On the Canadian side north of Gallo Island there is Wolves Island with many hundreds of windmills, but I read very little about protests there.

Having windmills on Gallo Island is not pretty, but the energy produced there may save a mountain top in Virginia from being blown up or a few cases of deadly black long because of mining . Or slow down the acidification of our Adirondacks Lakes. So yes, environmental protection with the Windmills is a must,but so are the windmills.

We are all on the same page in wanting the best for our lakes, so maybe we can try to work together by trying to find ways to get the best forward looking solution instead of stubbornly fighting a battle that we lost already.

Edited by rolmops

Environment as in skyline is often a local concern. The environment in the Appalachians has been destroyed by strip mining along with black long disease and acid rain. Gas drilling is destroying the water resources in Pennsylvania and causing thousands of small to medium earthquakes daily in Kentucky and Texas. Soon seismic sounding in the Atlantic will do great damage to the marine environment.

That is just a small list out of many more.

We all want our energy to be cheap and plentiful. On the Canadian side north of Gallo Island there is Wolves Island with many hundreds of windmills, but I read very little about protests there.

Having windmills on Gallo Island is not pretty, but the energy produced there may save a mountain top in Virginia from being blown up or a few cases of deadly black long because of mining . Or slow down the acidification of our Adirondacks Lakes. So yes, environmental protection with the Windmills is a must,but so are the windmills.

We are all on the same page in wanting the best for our lakes, so maybe we can try to work together by trying to find ways to get the best forward looking solution instead of stubbornly fighting a battle that we lost already.

Wolf Island is in the St. Lawrence River in the Canadian side across from Cape Vincent it is an eyesore , especially at night when the hundreds of red anti collision lights are flashing. You are correct that the skyline is affected. Driving property values down. At least having the turbines on Galloo island minimizes any spill concerns. The big problem for fishermen and casual boaters is the 30 mile underwater cable that will run to Oswego. Will it affect the fishing ? Will there be an exclusion zone for boaters ? No answers to these questions so far

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile appby the way. That underwater cable will run through some of the best fishing waters on the East end of the lake. Hate to be bouncing bottom for oil cans ( lake trout ) and snag that cable. That would be shocking. Makes me concerned about an exclusion zone