Wind Turbines on Lake Ontario!

On 4/17/2021 at 7:11 PM, whaler1 said:

Who supports this crap?

Your fellow New Yorkers.. We vote continually for leftists that impose tyranny,and then are surprised  and angry when we get it.. These things are going up everywhere, get used to it. The current administrations in NY as well as the entire USA  strongly support the "Green New Deal", and are now administering it.

Windmill farms are fish magnets in the ocean, same as oil rigs. They will help the fishing there... A  few years after they go up, the lifeless sand bottom is teeming with life, and then entire zone becomes a  fishing  hot spot for bottom fish as well as pelagics... Fresh water fish are different, and I doubt these windmills will do anything at all to improve fishing.. They WILL look hideous, and  kill  some  gulls however.... I doubt they will really "hurt' the fishing as much as some think however.. They are coming, there's NO doubt about that...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 11/27/2021 at 5:51 AM, bulletbob said:

They’ll do more than kill gulls. Migratory birds , bats 🦇, protected bird species of all kinds.  That’s just the start. There will be exclusion zones around every turbine. The power cable that was proposed for Gallo island wind farm , ran underwater to Oswego , through the best salmon pod fishing in the Eastern end of Lake O   Imagine snagging that cable with a rigger ball  if you don’t think they will put security around the turbines , take a look at the exclusion zone around the nukes at Nine mile pt.  We used to be able to fish right through the warm water discharge , some of the best spring brown fishing ever. No more. We need to fight these monstrosities on every level. 

You got it. There are millions of acres of farm land that would love to have windmills to pay their property taxes. No potable water would be endangered and our access to our fishery will not be lost. The greedy politicians want the lease money to come in while they are in office. They will not be in office when the mess out in our lake starts.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:32 AM, jimski2 said:

You got it. There are millions of acres of farm land that would love to have windmills to pay their property taxes. No potable water would be endangered and our access to our fishery will not be lost. The greedy politicians want the lease money to come in while they are in office. They will not be in office when the mess out in our lake starts.

I understand where you are coming from, but the wind blows across the water MUCH more efficiently and more often  than it does over land... Thats why big bodies of water are being targeted.. More frequent and stronger wind....

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 8:21 AM, jimski2 said:

The lakes are our source of drinking potable water for millions of our citizens. Salt water is too expensive to convert to drinking water . Look at California today. 

Jim, 

I'm an engineer in the large industrial pump business. Desalination is pretty cheap. There are large projects going on right now in California.

Edited by Chuck Smth

On 12/22/2021 at 7:28 AM, jimski2 said:

Desalination costs a lot of money. Check out the Keys and Sanibel Island in Florida.

In fact, desalination is pretty cheap if you make it in large quantities. In Israel there are 31 desalination plants and over 80% of all the drinking water is from these plants.. All the sewer water gets a basic treatment and is used for agriculture. Israel also sells a lot of desalinated water to Jordan where it is in high demand.

The real problem with desalination is that all the politicians talk about it and promote it ....... until it rains and then nobody promotes it anymore because now it is no longer a popular subject.

Just remember that one almond costs a gallon of water.

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

Taking a daily shower in California is not happening. Capturing rain gutter water is against the law. Spend some time there and you will wake up.

My daughter lives in Palo Alto (the heart of Silicon valley) and she showers at least once a day,so I will take your comment as a symbolic statement.

Edited by rolmops
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2021 at 5:08 PM, chinook35 said:

They’ll do more than kill gulls. Migratory birds , bats 🦇, protected bird species of all kinds.  That’s just the start. There will be exclusion zones around every turbine. The power cable that was proposed for Gallo island wind farm , ran underwater to Oswego , through the best salmon pod fishing in the Eastern end of Lake O   Imagine snagging that cable with a rigger ball  if you don’t think they will put security around the turbines , take a look at the exclusion zone around the nukes at Nine mile pt.  We used to be able to fish right through the warm water discharge , some of the best spring brown fishing ever. No more. We need to fight these monstrosities on every level. 

https://www.sierraclub.org/michigan/wind-turbines-and-birds-and-bats

Any navigation or fishing in the fifty square mile windmill zone will be illegal. The politicians that auctioned off the site will be dead now but they spent the money while they were in office.
And where exactly did you find this info in official documents?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My brother and his family from Anchorage, Ak winters in Paso Robles,CA and they have bad water supply issues. Located next to the Central Valley where most of our nation's food supply is raised water conservation uses are enforced. Believe me there is a problem that devious politicians and media covers up. Do not believe everything you read or hear, California is in big trouble with its population and agriculture gains.

and its called climate change,100yrs drought happens every other decade,snow pack is missing in most of the west.but enough of cali,where is the document that mandated no fishing within 50 miles of windmills..i know there is a stong suggestion that sailors stay at least 50 meters away from the blades but i have never hear 50 miles,,done some fishing up near clayton,way closer than 50 miles when the blades are spinning,,so where exactly is this document?

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

My brother and his family from Anchorage, Ak winters in Paso Robles,CA and they have bad water supply issues. Located next to the Central Valley where most of our nation's food supply is raised water conservation uses are enforced. Believe me there is a problem that devious politicians and media covers up. Do not believe everything you read or hear, California is in big trouble with its population and agriculture gains.

There currently are no restricted zones for US offshore windfarms, HOWEVER they can be set up by many different agencies for a variety of reasons. This article is interesting:

https://docs.rwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1100&context=law_ma_seagrant

In Belgium, fishermen have to stay 500 meters away from offshore wind farms.  In UK, no restriction except during construction.  (pgs 9-10)

Article also suggests access will be restricted in US similar to oil platforms.  i.e. no restriction in Louisana but stay 150 meters away in California. 

Another source said that Dominion's Coastal Virginia Offshore farm were required fishermen to stay 50 meters away from all construction sites, cranes, work boats & cables during its construction.

Should be interesting as I can foresee ragboats zipping around them now for their Sunday morning regattas.

and its called climate change,100yrs drought happens every other decade,snow pack is missing in most of the west.but enough of cali,where is the document that mandated no fishing within 50 miles of windmills..i know there is a stong suggestion that sailors stay at least 50 meters away from the blades but i have never hear 50 miles,,done some fishing up near clayton,way closer than 50 miles when the blades are spinning,,so where exactly is this document?

7 hours ago, jimski2 said:

no fear;The purpose of this paper has been to aid the public in understanding current and possible regulations limiting public access to offshore wind farms for recreational fishing in waters near Rhode Island. No state or federal agency has indicated an intention to limit access to the BIWF or other future wind farms to date, but federal and state agencies have legal authority to restrict access to particular areas if needed to reduce navigation hazards, for fisheries management, or upon designation of a MPA. Past experience in Europe and statements in the Ocean SAMP agree that navigation safety is the most likely justification for future restrictions, whether at the BIWF or elsewhere. However, this study identified no evidence of navigational safety hazards associated with the BIWF, and any future closures for this or other reasons would likely include a robust interagency process. Should restrictions be needed, this analysis suggests that the U.S. Coast Guard would be the agency best suited to establish them through safety zones or restricted areas

And the most interesting thing is that none of the windfarm people will talk about restricted zones.  They simply sidestep it by saying USCG will be responsible for restricted zones AFTER they are built.  These whole projects would be more "palatable" if they came out and said they suspect X number of meters away is a safe distance.   Also, if they said how the zones are going to be marked.  (At least on the "shipwreck" project on the East end, they came out and said wrecks would be marked and no fishing around them.)  Some honesty right upfront would be nice.  

You'll notice, at least in the Genny, where submerged cables exist, there are all kinds of signs saying "No Anchorage" as a warning.  I'm sure there are some cables marked on navigation maps up towards the islands also.  

BTW, your map doesn't show the underwater cables nor "step-up" house.