Wind Turbines on Lake Ontario!

• 1 month later...

Fresh water is more precious than salt water. Yes windmills in saltwater are accepted, but we do not drink it. Protect our fresh water so as the California people can not take a daily shower due to its costs. Our Great Lakes water resources are not unlimited. Put the wind mills on land, not in our drinking water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The State of Ohio is installing windmills in Lake Erie. Canada does not approve in lake windmills but has installed thousands of them near the shoreline. The. Native Americans have not given approval of the use of their lake. They lost their land but not their waters. European nations cluster their installations for economic decisions. This plan was not properly studied.

It seems like NYC thinks upstate is here to serve them, and then they want us to take their garbage.

The truth is sadder than that. NYC does not think about us at all. But some upstate companies and counties are very eager to offer NYC room for the garbage. The stinking in our backyards was created by the local county officials that you voted for.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The Buffalo News reports the Lackawanna/Hamburg windmills are costing over twenty million dollars of repairs now. If they were in the lake the repair costs would be multiplied.

Here is the article concerning these turbines. The cost to refit is 21 million and the company that owns them wants tax relief. I find the part of the article referring to the turbines on the N.Y. state thruway very telling. They don’t work , and the French company that supplied them is out of business. Guess who foots the bill to repair or replace them ( or better yet , tear them down )?

https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/16/why-lackawannas-wind-turbines-dont-always-blow-in-the-wind/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=puma&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1573927905

Due to our climate change summertime demand for air conditioning has gone through the capacity of our power grid. Supplementary  power is unavailable on high demand days. The black hole power demand of New York City caused transformer failures and blackouts there. Natural gas turbines can come online quickly and are there when the wind does not blow. Natural gas prices are low and if the turbines are sited at our closed power plants the waste heat could be used to fire up the boilers. With all the tax credits used to upgrade our power plants and nuclear plants being deactivated our power grid could be saved for the future. Florida power plants fire up their turbines on cold nights to heat the homes there. Come on now, we need some changes made instead of crisis decision making.

Another Buffalo News story this morning on the short operating life span of the wind mills and the loss of school and property taxes to rebuild them with tax incentives. The plastic fiber glass blades have a short life span. Newer installed blades are larger and less hazard to wild life such as birds. Newer nacelles, gear boxes and generator blades, will be more efficient with technology improvements twenty years better. The present towers will be used to support the new equipment. Anyway that is what the selling promoters claim.

Edited by jimski2
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Another Buffalo News story this morning on the short operating life span of the wind mills and the loss of school and property taxes to rebuild them with tax incentives. The plastic fiber glass blades have a short life span. Newer installed blades are larger and less hazard to wild life such as birds. Newer nacelles, gear boxes and generator blades, will be more efficient with technology improvements twenty years better. The present towers will be used to support the new equipment. Anyway that is what the selling promoters claim.

This fight might not be over The emperor Cuomo just set up a commission to determine where ( at the moment ) solar energy sites can be located , without the input or consent of townships the newest site is located between Watertown and Henderson. 2000 acres of solar panels in a residential area. The commission is titled “ Site commission for RENEWABLE energy locations “ I would guess that means wind too. I’ll get the article and post ASAP He just took the towns and county’s out of the equation. His statement was “ the state , not the towns , determine where renewable energy sites will be located

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This fight might not be over The emperor Cuomo just set up a commission to determine where ( at the moment ) solar energy sites can be located , without the input or consent of townships the newest site is located between Watertown and Henderson. 2000 acres of solar panels in a residential area. The commission is titled “ Site commission for RENEWABLE energy locations “ I would guess that means wind too. I’ll get the article and post ASAP He just took the towns and county’s out of the equation. His statement was “ the state , not the towns , determine where renewable energy sites will be located

Here’s the link.

https://www.wwnytv.com/2021/01/25/state-not-towns-have-final-say-major-solar-project/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They are doing everything in their power to bypass the ability of local governments to stop offshore wind farms there is too much money at stake for these developers to allow such things as property value , sport fishing , environmental impacts , etc. to stand in the way of profit

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The windmill stooges on the Great Lakes freshwater area has sucked a million dollars from Albany to sell the public acceptance of them in our lakes. Meanwhile millions acres of farm land could use the income to pay their taxes. Are the Albany people cracking up?

• Like 1

Some windmill stooges sucked up one million dollars of our tax dollars to make up a "study" to sell to the public reasons to accept the Lake Erie windmill installations. Can not they see the millions of acres of rural property where the tax paying owners could use the rental payments to pay their property taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

A good story on surplus electric power is being used by Volvo, a Chinese owned company, to produce hydrogen gas for use in their steel mills rather than coal. When burned hydrogen gas produces water.

Yesterday the You Tube Channel showed the new windmills being built today and they are so large two heavy duty cranes were used to load them on a specially ballasted ship. There is no hoisting ships on the Great Lakes capable of installing and maintaining the newest windmills.

The new windmills from Europe tower up to fifteen hundred feet to the tip. They will be visible from every where. They are too large to transport over roads which will require raising bridges. Special new ballasted ships are needed to install and maintain them.

I live 3 miles from 3 wind farms in Wyoming county. they collect a lot of energy. they are clean and very quiet. I have no problem with them. we fought for years to keep two land fill companies out of our area. we took the wind mills instead. 

wind farms are great for the Great Lakes. one problem. man polluted the bottom of these lakes with chemicals. if we install wind farms on Lake Erie or Lake Ontario. we will stir up the bottom of these lakes and cause more pollution. I think the cost to install them out there is more political than good for our state. we would do better if we built two coal burning or natural gas power plants instead.