Grim Reaper broadheads.

chowder

Curious about people's experiences w/ this expandable? I've used the fixed Rockets w/ the bacon skinner blades for years and taken dozens of deer w/ them but Trophy Ridge bought them out and now they are $39 for 3 (used to be $25 for 5) so I figured well I got this new bow and arrows, let's try something different for a broadhead. I guess I can't say that I can see what the great advantage is, and I did have one that did not pass through (happened from time to time w/ the rockets too, but I've seen those little rockets break through the bone of the shoulder joint too) Although I take some nice bucks I do kill a lot of does on our crop land for meat so I want to find a broadhead w/ economical replacement blades that still flies like a field point- maybe somebody knows of a source for the old style Rocket replacement blades or has another alternative? I guess I tried the Hyper Shocks too back a bunch of years ago and killed some deer w/ them but must have had a so/so overall opinion. I do think the Grim Reaper is an improvement over the Hyper Shocks but all these expandables seem way too expensive!

Chowie,I use the small 1" hole broadheads, they pass through "EVERYTIME" unless you smoke the shoulder. And i only have a 27.5" arrow (less kinetic energy) and shoot a old 220fps bow. I can kill a target at 40 yds tho sometimes a 17 yd big buck will make the arrow fly off course (cant be me and buck feaver) ..hit em in the right spot and you dont need a 5in hole...double lung a doe one time with a fieldpiont and see how far it goes and if any blood comes out the tiny hole...if i see more on closeout (end of season) in ohio ill pick up 5 or 6 packs 3 for 8.00 per pack. what weight 100 gr. ?

I use 100s. What are these broadheads called b/c I don't like the "fake" rockets that have a kind of rounded tip. I like the bone chisel tip the original rockets have b/c it will break the opposite shoulder joint on a moderate to sharply quartered away shot.

• 3 weeks later...

i love my archery and have tried lots of heads. tried expandables(old 3blade spitfires) and never had a bad experience but only took one deer and no passthrough on a broadside shot. have used magnus stingers(great head), g5 montec (my #1), muzzy's, slick tricks and wasps. of these, by far the 2 most consistant heads are the montecs (#1) and the magnus 2 blade stingers (#2). montecs will last you many deer, shoot well and no blades to replace, just sharpen w/ wet dry sandpaper or the special $30 stone they sell. i am using these once again after straying from them for no reason and 90% of the shots are passthroughs for me. shoulder blade passthrough this year for me also. on to the stingers, magnus is only blade w/ a warranty from the manufacturer if that is a worry for you and they can be resharpened like the montecs. w/ only 2 blades they passthrough easy (low draw weight) and fly good. as for bloodtrails- you can hit a deer with 10 differant arrows and the same head in almost the same area and get totally differant blood trails. some people will say this head or that head give better blood. some of this may hold merit, but is all about where u hit em. i lean towards smaller <1 1/8th" short profile heads b/c i feel they fly better at the higher sppeds i shoot. they only reason people shoot expandables is because they dont take the time to tune their bow to be able to shhot a fixed head. i shoot over 300fps and both the montecs and stingers are dead on. best luck- but i am shooting montecs and when my son is old enough he will shoot stingers b/c of the lack of draw weight.

I have to be the oddball and say spitfires. I have shot 4 or 5 deer with them and everyone has been a pass through. I only shot 63 lbs, and the arrows are Gold Tips 5575. Another factor is the farthest shot was 23 yards. Max. yards to recovery was about 50. I use to shoot 100 grain Muzzys and switched just to try something different. I think as long as you are confident in the shot and the equipment there isn't a bad broadhead out there.

I'm shooting the 85gr.thunder Head on a 400gr.Beman ICS Out of a Mathews MQ1 at about 54lbs, and it will pass through the heart lung area all day long. My shooting skills are excellent, been at it for over 60yrs. Most of my shots are under 20yds and I'm very happy with that little head on that setup. :)

I have to agree with zach on the montecs, they're awesome. As for mechanicals I say rage 2 blade, but they are illegal by the book, but when I asked a dec officer he said he wouldn't ticket for them. In my opinion almost any "cheap" broadheads paired with a good bow should do the trick. Any of them are more efficient than a longbow with flint tips, but they do the job to. As long as the shot is good any head on the market will do.

So far my crew has had good luck with the 2 balde rage we switched last year forn the muzzys. We have been 4 for 5 on recoverys the one doe was an extreme quarting away shot and believe that the shot went through the armpit area and did not breach the chest cavity, the shooter admitted he aimed to far forward for the angle she was standing. The entry holes have been as advertised and blood trails awesome, 3 of the shots were complete pass throughs and one the broadhead did exit and then the arrow was broken by the deer running and fell out. The reason we changed was in hopes of easier recovery especialy on the evening hunts in thick brush the coyotes have been making a mess out of our deer when left until the morning. I have never wanted to even try a mechanical before this style came out and up to now have killed all my deer with fixed blade broadheads but these fly great and i love the blood trails so I will stick withem until I can find a flaw. One flaw they are very pricy!! But so is everything else that I like LOL!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i shot at 3 deer with my bow this year - all with grim reapers. The first was at 12 yards. I didn't recover it, but my friend shot it less than 24 hours later. I had hit it in the shoulder and we never found the arrow! (and my bow is nearly 300 fps)!

the second 2 deer i shot were both pass thrus - 15 and 35 yds.

i don't know what to think of that first shot and it not going thru the first shoulder, even if it wasn't a pass thru.

andre

i shoot slick tricks, a head with not a lot of advertising expect through archerytalk.

These head fly like feild points, put massive holes in deer and also the kicker is they only cost 23 bucks for three heads and have replacement blades for 10 bucks! :yes:

did i mention that i love them!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

u guys with them rages. i have heard so many horror stories on archerytalk about them i cant let myself try em. they will not go through a shoulder! i know that this isn't our target but sh*t happens some times. i think that the only reason for a mechanical head is for someone that doesn't tune their bow. keep using those rages until u lose your biggest of all time. tune your bow and shoot a cut on contact head. a cut on contact head takes less than 3lbs of pressure to push through a deer skin, compared to over 30lbs of pressure to get a "bone splitting" tocar tip through. take your bath room scale and a deer hide and try it for yourself if you dont believe me. get good front of center weight and tune your bow and "most" heads will fly correct. i shoot over 300fps w/ my elite bow and carbon tech arrows and get montecs to fly right everytime. nothing to fail on a one piece head and easy to resharpen. have killed one bear and 5 deer with the same head. cant beat that. slick tricks gave me about 4" of penetration on a big illinois buck quartering away and i soon gave them up after finding that a broken blade cost me all that penetration. just my 2 cents. i have strayed from montecs 2x only to come back.

Well Zach I am glad you have had such good luck with your cut on contacts but don’t believe everything you read on the Internet. I have seen rage heads penetrate the shoulder and kill a deer and I have also seen marginal rear hits that ended up kill shots because of the wide mechanicals catching the liver. I will not put anything down without first hand knowledge but what ever you have confidence in, you should stick with it because that is half the battle in hunting with a bow.

I have yet to loose a deer due to a mechanical head. I have taken plenty of deer also. I think some are better than others of course. As far as not being able to tune your bow to use fixed heads, not everyone has the time required to fine tune fixed heads. I dont think you could ever get a fixed head to fly exactly as good as a mechanical anyway. To each there own and use what you like and what you are confident with. I think traditional archers are crazy using stone flint tips but I appreciate that they can and do take game with them.

Ive never had a problem with them flying the same as fieldpoints but every bow is different.As far as penetrating bone goes i drove one halfway through the shoulder of a deer a few years ago.It was a bad shot on my part but he only went 100 yards and piled up.I really dont think you can go wrong with these heads.

i shoot a ross wheel cam deal , it shoots around 300 fps and i know speed does not kill . i soot beman 340 ics hunter and 85 to 100 grain head . i would like to get a comparasion on your set absolut or any one else that shoots the slicks . i hunted with g5 montecs and i feel they are junk lost 2 nice deer with them and my buddy put 3 of them in a deer and never got good penatration with them we did get the deer ,the blood trails with them sucked . was thinkin of goin with rage or the reign broad head but now im back to movin parts in flight and on impact .

any info would be great , i take bow huntin serous