need a new fish finder

I have a eagle 480 df which when i got it it was a great unit for great lakes fishing. well after 5 years of nothing but problems and 4 transducers it failed me again at the end of the season. the GPS works great but the fishfinder has never shown a fish past 40 ft but showed the bottom. Now even after all the problems i was told earlier this week tough luck send it in and pay this time. even though it has been recurring and they were taking care of me after the warranty. I have been reading on the new hds units that lowrance has and i have only read where one person actually has had zero problems. The people that have them and have the problems say cust service is now horrible to deal with. so i am starting to look at a new combo fish finder gps unit. the 5 inch screen units are the size typically that will fit on my dash. i dont want to spend any more than 650 on a new unit. what would you guys suggest. no lowrance or eagle units. what about the hummingbird 788 unit? i was told it was a nice unit by both cabelas and bass pro.

I am in the same boat as you and have been looking for a bit now. After much research and suggestions, I found a new Raymarine DS500x complete with 50/200 transducer for $260 at Bethel Marine. Well under your price range and an incredible unit. The unit has been discontinued by Raymarine, but it has all the modern and high quality features I'd be looking for in a fishfinder.

You may want to look into the Humminbird 575.It transduces on 3 different frequencies,which gives you a very wide beam and although it is black and white,it has 16 shades.They are not usually available in stores and have to be bought online.

When I bought mine last year it was $245,and that is probably what it is now.

• 2 weeks later...