Copper or lead on inline planner boards?

last year was the first time using a 10 leadcore and a 300 copper. loved it! I heard you can but it just seems to me either one of these would pull a church in line right behind the boat with all that weight. can it be done? Also, i know not to pinch the copper in the inline but is it safe to with the lead? Small boat, have three down riggs out the back. really need these heavy lines out and out of the way. Have some big boards but really trying to avoid buying a mast cause of placement on the boat.

Set your drag on the lighter side w/ the church boards. The board will set the hook and the drag will alert you to a fish. Don't put the copper or the core in the release, if you have problems w/ the release holding you can splice in a section of heavy mono between core/copper and the superbraid backing using albright knots, or use a rubber band around the release. One thing I don't like about the inlines is sometimes a King gets the board under water and things can get dicey when it starts planing around and creating a lot of resistance.

offshores wont dive with a king on it if you have a snap on the back release instead of a pinch pad and set the front pinch pad so it will release. just dont forget the leader bead or the board will go all the way to the fish, tearing the hooks out. the planer will just follow the fish around and you will be able to net it without unhooking a board with a mean mud marlin runnin amuck. you dont have to play with your drag while fighting the fish either...which can get dicy :o

I have tried running inline boards & 300' of copper, but after the second time untangling the copper from my wire lines (cut it off with side cutting pliers), I only used full size boards, so the two lines don't come so close together. If you turn at all using the in line boards, they get together @#*&%((*$@!!!!!

Just my experience with Church Walleye boards.

I am sure others have been able to do it, but I have not.

The only tangle I have had w/ 300'+ copper off the Church boards and the wire dipsy happened when the dipsy tripped from a speed increase and drifted up, then we got a steely on the 300' copper. We did get the fish but we lost a lot of wire.

One thing that will help w/ preventing tangles w/ inlines is to run Mag dipsies and set them on 1.5. If I run slide diver spoon rods out on 2.5 or 3 I always put my core and or copper out on the big boards. Either way you can't turn around very quickly that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I HATE running anything more than a 5 color on an in-line board. They just cant pull out to the side enough. I have talked with the Canadians (who seem to love them) and they told me how to slide the weight forward. Bla Bla Bla, but I just never was able to get them to run out to the side enough. Especially with the copper if it isn't out to the side enough you have a greater opportunity to get that copper to fall into your wire diver.

I know big boards take up a lot of room, and to get set-up for them is a lot more expensive than buying a couple of in-lines, but big boards pull these junk lines out to the side so much better. This does two things. One I mentioned above by allowing it to clear the wire divers, and it gets them out of the way to fight fish.

Yankee what big boards are you using and how do you have them hooked up on the boat? I have the Otter Boards and a Big john double mast but I have not put them on new boat. With the new boat I was going to put the mast on the pulpit but it might be to far forward.

Yankee what big boards are you using and how do you have them hooked up on the boat? I have the Otter Boards and a Big john double mast but I have not put them on new boat. With the new boat I was going to put the mast on the pulpit but it might be to far forward.

We always run the junk on the planers, helps pull them out without putting alot of backer out which in turn gives you less line out so that when the big one decides to run you dont have to pucker up and hope you dont run out of backing!!!!!!!! We also like having nothing else to pull in, its enough just pullin in the empty copper! Ive seen it done alot of different ways but to each his own and the best way to find out for yourself is trial and error!