New to me Boat!!

I just picked up a 21' trophy hardtop today. So now I should not have to wear a pfd!! It's a shame that the gov't forced me to have to upgrade to a bigger boat. ;) Can't wait to try it out on some fish. Half the fun of a different boat is rigging it to your likeing. Here's a pic of the new to me vessel...

1exjo0.jpg

I just picked up a 21' trophy hardtop today. So now I should not have to wear a pfd!! It's a shame that the gov't forced me to have to upgrade to a bigger boat. ;) Can't wait to try it out on some fish. Half the fun of a different boat is rigging it to your likeing. Here's a pic of the new to me vessel...

1exjo0.jpg

Good for you! Enjoy! What year is your Trophy? I believe the PFD law only applies from Nov to May 1st though? After May 1st you won't need to wear a PFD in boats under 21ft in length.

It was explained to me that they would be looking at the registered length from the boat registration. I don't imagine they would be measuring boats on the water unless the registration plainly doesn't match the vessel. If your registration says 21' then you could atleast argue the ticket if they do tell you it isn't actually 21'.

Tell yah what second chance if they check me in this rig for a life jacket and some how write me a ticket, they better be ready for a ear full!!!! This law is meant for the people who go out in a 12' rin tin tin in bad weather and die for there own stupid decisions. Not trying to start a heated post here but this state is ridiculous. Another example is the NY hand gun permits. When I was in Oklahoma if you were 21 years or older you walked in a gun shop and said I'll take that one done deal. Ny you have to give your 2nd born kid away to attain one. Fact is this state is sadly going in a direction that is for the worse.

Tell yah what second chance if they check me in this rig for a life jacket and some how write me a ticket, they better be ready for a ear full!!!! This law is meant for the people who go out in a 12' rin tin tin in bad weather and die for there own stupid decisions. Not trying to start a heated post here but this state is ridiculous. Another example is the NY hand gun permits. When I was in Oklahoma if you were 21 years or older you walked in a gun shop and said I'll take that one done deal. Ny you have to give your 2nd born kid away to attain one. Fact is this state is sadly going in a direction that is for the worse.

Can't agree more with your assessment. This state is getting ridiculous. I'm not sure whom I mad at more...The dysfunctional assembly that runs this state or the idiots in this state that keep voting them in office!

You guys are missing the point. Check out Cabelas or Bass Pro for under $70.00 you can purchase the belt type inflatables. You don't even known you have them on. Not wearing something in the winter is like playing the odds by not wearing a seat belt, it won't happen to me. These can save your life! I heard the horror story about that guy on Lake Ontario that fell off his rig in the summer, his boat was found beached the next day. At least with an inflatable your wives will have a corspe to view. What's $70.00 more since we already have thousands wrapped up in our sport.

Frisco my point is, how can one state mandate a law like this, while neighboring states don't even require a helmet while riding a motorcycles 70 mph down the highway? To me the point I'm making here is that our NY Gov't these days would rather pass laws that protect you from your own choices, than balance their budget!! I feel as if I need my Gov't to handle real Govt. issues, not take away my right to have a choice about a judgement call. Should there be laws to protect children...of course. Should there be laws to protect me from my self...NO I don't feel so. Fact here is that the NY gov't these days is ridiculous and it saddens me to watch the direction they are heading. Here's some numbers I found posted on the web "In New York state, there were 21 boating fatalities in 2008, of which five occurred in cold-water conditions". In 2007 there was 1333 auto fatalitites in NY State. Maybe the state should lower speed limits?

TD

My intent was not to get into a debate nor dicuss politics, just voice my opinion. Stinger & I were on Cayuga when two fisherman went overboard, lucky for them there was another boat close, this was in the winter! That convinced me what was the right thing to do.......no one gets on my rig in the winter without wearing an inflatable!

Next subject!

I do value my family and life. That being said it is a case of understood risk. Just like when you decide to speed down the highway. Maybe a intelligent person that valued their family and life would never speed. I am willing to bet you have exceeded the speed limit before L&M. This original post was not intended to insult or hurt any ones feelings but to show off my new boat that I am excited about using. Every ones entitled to their own opinions and I respect all of yours that responded to this post.