Yamaha T8(or 9.9) vs. Merc 9.9 Prokicker

chowder

I have a Pro Kicker, I absolutely love it ZERO complaints I've had it since September of 2007, the electric start and power trim/tilt are awesome, has awesome thrust with the 4 blade prop and it's not all that cold blooded at all. I do have friends with the yamaha T-8 and they have fished on my boat and they have said mine is a little easier starting when cold. They perform about the same but I think the extra blade on the prop can help even though the blade surface might be the same overall (yamaha has 3 big blades vs merc 4 smaller blades) both are awesome motors that will run all day on little gas and pure like a kitten. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Find a good dealer, match price points and warranty and if you have outboard power already pick one that will match and go for it you won't be dissapointed in either as both are solid kickers. I do know Merc has an extra long shaft (25 inch) if you need one that long I don't think Yamaha has one. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Merc or Yammy I can put a few calls in two of my good friends have T-8's.

I bought a Yamaha high thrust T8 last year,and ran it all season.It's an awesome motor.I also love the electric start and,absolutely love the power tilt feature,no more fiddling with trying to raise and lower a bracket,just push a button at the front,or on the motor to raise or drop it.

I ran a 9.9 Yamaha on my previous boat,and the T8 is every bit as powerful.

It pushes my boat 5500 lbs no problem.Troll all day 10 -12 hrs for days on end,and it never misses a beat.When I start it I have to ask my buddies if it's running,because it's so quiet.

My old 9.9 was a little hard to start at times,but the T8 starts great.

I'm sure the Merc is very nice as well,I know a few guys with them and are very satisfied.I don't think you'll go wrong no matter which brand you decide on.

Dealer accessibility might be something to check into,in case you ever need service.It's nice not to have to make a long road trip to have work done or to get parts.I will say that I ran my old 9.9 Yammie for ten tears and only had to replace a fuel pump,never had to fix anything else.

I have a T8 on my walleye boat and it's a great motor, but there's no option for manually starting it if the battery goes (inexplicably) dead. I've seen a pull start touted as a valuable option on the Merc, though.

Gator

There is a loose rope pull (for emergencies) for my T8. I've never tried to use it... never needed to. Been a great motor though. Warrantee is 3 yrs. My power tilt motor failed in the last 3 mo. of coverage and it was replaced with no questions asked.