Bottom paint question

reel escape

Okay buying a new boat ( fiberglass) and will be keeping it in the water up in the thousand islands, question what are your guys take on bottom paint. I don't have a problem with acid washing in the fall or taking it out a couple times a season to do a clean up. Let me know your opinions.Thanks Mike

Dear Reel Escape, Bottom paint is not necessary if your ready to put up with the following problems. The visible problem of green slime @ the water line will start as soon as the water temp gets to 70F. this can be cleaned off with a bristle brush weekly. Wait longer and it becomes a job for someone in the water, putting more arm into it. As the water temp. goes up, the slime grows faster. The unseen problem is the Zebra mussels. They can only be felt with your hand during the first few weeks. They feel like small grit and show up first on the underwater aluminum parts. When they reach 20 grit size, you now have a tough problem. A high pressure washer must be used to remove these critters. And all this stuff added together will increase fuel consumption and slow your boat down at least 2 mph in a month! The zebras can wreck havoc in your engine water intake system if left alone for 5 weeks.

So now you can understand why you should have your bottom painted if you are going to leave your boat in the water for long time periods. Most long term boaters have gone to hoists or dry stacking because of the long term detrimental effects on fiberglass (polyester resin) hulls. Water absorption can also cause blisters and the list keeps going.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

P.S. Look at the Triumph Boats sometime, they are made of rotational molded HD Polyethylene. Not as pretty as a fiberglass boat but bottom painting in most waters is unnecessary! They are extremely popular in Florida as they don't fade in direct sunlight and you can use scotchbrite pads to clean the green slime at the water line. Don't do this on your fiberglass boat, you will leave lots of visible scratches. AND now for the FINAL SHOT! It looks like the Tree huggers and the EPA will stop the use of bottom paints in approx. 5 to 6 years. (from Industry sources) the same people who brought you ethanol and "approved" NEW hose that needs to be replaced because they keep changing the additives and gasoline formulas.

Hi Mike. Myself, I'd paint it. I just went through all the same questions with my lake boat, which is not new, but was always trailered and never bottom painted.

About all I can say is my aluminum boat in The Thousand Islands would get pretty messy by seasons end. Then again, I'm docked in a cove with 3-6 ft of water. If you have deeper water you may have less of a problem, as the water will be colder. I already know what I'm up against, so I'd bottom paint in my area, but since your new to your location in Cape Vincent , maybe go a season and see how it plays out? You can always paint it later.

Anyway...what did you buy? I still need a boat for the islands. I sold my lund to buy the lake boat, so now the summer camp is boat-less.

cya up there....Rod

I've only ever owned boats that were already bottom painted, so I've always done the work myself. I've just sanded them lightly and then re-painted them. If I had a new boat and was planning on keeping it in the water, I'd definitely have a barrier coat put on it first to help avoid osmotic blistering, etc. I think Yankee Troller had a barrier coat put on his boat a year or so ago by someone in Rochester. Maybe he can help with a referral.

I don't know about a barrier coat Mike. I was instructed to use fiberglass dewaxer/ bottom prep from Pettit. I used that to prepare the bottom, then painted with Ablitave from Blue Water.

Rod

I just read the instructions on the can. I read them before but missed the section on preparing "new" fiberglass.

On bare fiberglass, dewax with fiberglass prep and dewaxer. Sand with 100 grit paper to a dull finish. Apply 5 coats of high build epoxy primer, then two coats of antifoulant paint. Let dry and go fish.....

Rod