I Glad I AM Old

stan

I was thinking of what it was like when I grew up.

In Grammar school which was 1st to 8th where some great

times of a child's life and development.

We had pledge of allegiance to the flag at the beginning of each day of school.

Respect for our teachers and adults was ingrained in each of us.

We played dodge ball , baseball and flag football with out any safety gear,

February girls all gave the boys a Valentine cards, with many young men being embarrassed.

On Presidents birthdays we celebrated in class, with learning about the man. No paid holidays for our parents.

In mid march we would all make sure to wear some green on . so as not to get pinched by our friends for not wearing

any green.

Then the last week of March was spring brake for Easter. No big deals where made of it school back then. Most families went to church with no shame.

May brought the whole family together at the grandparents home for our grandmother on mothers day. Uncles , Aunts and cousins all there for a big dinner.

The end of May was honored by all on Memorial day, a trip to the Cemetery to spend some time with uncles who died for our country followed with picnic .

Come June school was out and Fathers day, which was meet for our dad , but always turned out to be a day spent with the family. ( should have been called family day ) I know our dad never had the chance to do what he wanted.

Then one of the biggest celebrations of the year was July 4th. We all would head down to the lake and camp out in tents swim, fish and play with our cousins till we dropped.

Near the end of August we geared up for another year of school to start. The cool part of this was we would unite

with old school mates we have not seen all summer.

September brought the last holiday of the summer and plenty of work. Cattle to stock yards and hay in the barn

for another winter ahead , oak cut split and stacked in the shed for heat on the cold days and nights ahead. The work was all done as a family and yes some had chores others did not share.

Columbus day in October was one of our first school events of the year. The history the teachers would tell you about in class would make you daydream of wild adventures.

The first part of November was a reminder to our family members and others that made the greatest sacrifice of all

for our freedom , school had us understand that great sacrifice made so far away, we knew the countries and places from history class teacher back then.

Come the middle of November the cold days and nights have settled in. Our house would have aromas from a year ago. The smell of fresh cooked pies and cookies which my mother along with my aunts would help my grandmother for our feast ahead. In school again the teachers would start their stories starting in England all the way to the east coast and the 1st colony. Once more you would day dream of some adventures, and you knew every location they talked about.

Then the greatest of all holidays of the year, where you knew the whole family would gather around. The uncles and my dad would take the old flat bed GMC up the mountain for a tree.

Then all the young would wonder what Santa would bring.

The feast and stories where out of this world. We all sat quiet as the adults talked about the days of the year behind us. While we all enjoyed another great meal of turkey and ham.

Now as the years have passed and life has changed and going so fast around us all. I have had a hard time trying understanding what has happened in today's world . What has happened to the family unit ?

So I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year,

Please find away to unite with your family members so far away.

STAN, You posted this under the wrong section even tho we dont have a "family forum" it should be under "open dissucion"....Sometimes as we get up there in years the best part of life is our memories, some good, some bad ,But you got a lot of good uns there. Pile them on top and the rocking chair will bring a smile to your face,,,,,focus on the less pleasent ones and the frown will appear.. Yes this big ball we live on has circled the sun at 3000 mph many a time sence you pooped (opps poped) outa mom . Im shure every generation has pondered the same question as your last sentance, all we can do is do our part to try to "pass the torch of life and values" to the next generation as you just did .. So for that I THANK YOU ,and many who you have handed off little flames to will remember your wisdom ,tho they may never walk to your door and say "thanks man for that"..."PEACE" of mind should be with you now ,Real "HOPE" is with us all,,,,"LOVE "is what you do for others and "JOY" is what you should feel knowing you have done YOUR part.

so PEACE,HOPE,LOVE,JOY IS THE MESSAGE OF CHRISTMAS.....and ya done good from what i just read, so creak that rocker with a smile on your face, and when you flop on your back looking at the stars you will be smiling (unless you flop in a pile of dog poop :lol: ).............

So in the new way of speaking "back at ya on the Christmas wishes!!! "

Stan you are so right about the things we did growing up :yes: .It really make you think about life in general and how precious our memories are to us. Thanks for letting me remember them. I pray for every one that is in harms way and those that risk there lives every day for my family safety. I hope all of the LOU family has a joyful and safe holiday :) Merry Xmas to all and be good :clap: