Copper set-up questions

Looking to get a copper rod reel combo and don't really know what I need. I looked on Ebay and saw some with Okuma combos with 300' of copper line but I thought I heard guys run 400' or 450' I fish out of Mexico and don't really know anything about copper set-up any help would be great (how to attach leader, how much and what type of backing ect...)

Thanks PJ Weber

Both Atomic and Fish Doctor charters websights have information on Copper setups.

Atomic has the info regarding rods, reels, leader mat. and backing and Ernie has knot info ect. in video format.

Check these out.

Out of Mexico it's not uncommon to fish depths exceeding 100 ft. I have 500 and 600

ft copper rods on the boat and although it's not advised, I fish less than the full length when needed. I don't have the storage room or money to invest in individual copper lengths for all depths so I make due.

Glen

PJ,

Adding copper is a GREAT idea! Just remember there is a learning curve that you will need to go through. I'm not sure what type of boat or set-up you have, but if your going to run it down the chute just make sure you let it out SLOW (when i say slow exaggerate it if you have to) and don't make any turns until its out as you will allow the copper to fall right into your wire divers. My recommendation is to get a 600' set-up and have it marked every 50'. This will allow you to be as versatile as possible. A 600 copper will only fit on a Penn 345. The retrieve rate is crap and the clicker will most likely go. However, the drags are SOLID! You can use small swivels to connect leaders and backing to the copper or the albright knot. I run a 20lb floro leader on all my coppers around 20-25'. You can see the albright knot on the animated knots website, and the swivels Tom or Ernie can help you with.

Be careful on EBAY. Some guys have bought copper set-ups and they got the lighter copper. You don't want that. Ernie and Tom's copper are identical, I think, and most of the people running copper on the lake have bought set-ups from either of these two individuals.

When you run it for the first couple of times make sure it is calm and let it out slow. Don't make any fast turns and you should be just fine. If you have any questions there are a ton of people on here who have been running copper very successfully for years. Don't hesitate to ask.

I agree w/ Rick. I purchased a 500' copper w/ tekota800lc reel and my learning curve was my pops untangling 300' of it that we put in a 5 gallon pail because I put it "down the shute" with the 3 footers at our side. I learned quickly that copper/dipsey's and flashers don't work very well together! :lol: I definately learned quickly and really enjoy the set up that Tom (A-Tom-Mik) hooked me up with. The line counter is well worth it. :yes:

I'll just add that using Mag size dipsies, set on 1.5 help, minimize tangles w/ the copper down the chute and off inlines b/c the Mags dive steep and stay closer to the boat out of the way of the copper which does not dive steeply. Although most people (myself included) seem to start out experimenting w/ copper down the chute, it actually causes a lot less problems out to the side off planer boards.

Thanks guys you have given me somethings to think about. Scott, funny you mention the Tekota 800 I have one that I use cod fishing although no line counter. Maybe I can purchase a line counter and switch over. I also saw some set-up for sale in palaski at fat Nancy's for around 200.00 I believe probably should go that way. If there is a way for me to tangle it will happen lost tackle makes you learn quick!!! Thanks again PJ

Thanks Brian I will stop down to see you this summer I believe that you are nback in Mexico in June. I am going up in a couple weeks to look at a cottage in Richland just south of the state park to stay while I am there this summer can't wait!! Have a great Christmas! PJ

• 3 weeks later...

This information about Penn Reels may come a little late, but for its value, the 340gt and the 345gt have the same spool size. Also the spools are the same as size as the penn 113hl and 113hlw, respectively. They are not interchangeable because the spool shafts are different.

This information was provided from a post of Alan Tani's.