New to the lake HELP!!!!

I have spent a lot of time reading and the amount of information posted is incredible. My son and I will be trying our hand at salmon fishing for the first time and my knowledge is beyond the point of limited. I see postings for spoons, flashers, j-plugs and flies to name a few. Help!!!! The only thing I am sure of is that I have a 23' boat, it will be docked at Henderson Harbor and I have Cannon Uni-Troll 10TS downriggers. I have no clue what I should be pulling behind them. Could you please help us get a start on what kind of lures we should start with and if possible colors and any special techniques for a newbie. I know this is a huge request, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The first place you want to start is www.attheoak.com. Go through the topics and fish reports this will give you an idea of where to start, types of lures, flies,line, reels, poles. Then go through this sites fishings reports. Then read through the headings like Open Lake Discussion and you will see topics like hot lures, favorite flashers, ect. There are topics on how speed, leader lengths and just about everything pertaining to Lake "O" fishing. Once you've don that ask questions for better understanding on topics.

This spring you may want to start out on a charter either out of Wilson or Olcott for the best help you will find. Paul from Free Spirit does a seminar on his boat.

Good Luck,

Shade

Newbie first of all welcome to the best fishing forum on the web :yes::yes::yes::yes: Here's a link to some articles written on here that should help http://www.lakeontariounited.com/blog/ the attheoaksite is helpful too.

If you can get the time to try and get on a boat as an observer for any or all of the Pro Am tournaments that's a great way to learn and get paid (usually) while learning :yes:

Anytime you can get hooked up with somebody else on there boat is always a plus and there are always guys looking to get somebody to go out with them to add a couple extra rods to their spread (you may get tagged with the name 2 rods though :lol: )

Look over this site as much as you can and write down info to take along with you when you go out. Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask :o;)

This is a great time of the year to ask questions because we are all looking to keep ourselves busy on here since we seem to have lost our Skienemachine -vs- Fishstix photo shop battle from back in the day. What ever happened to those guys :thinking::thinking:;(

Good luck and we're here to help.