Schooling Muskies?

Fished our stretch of the Susky for walleyes a week or so back.. I did get some decent walleyes, but the muskies were driving me nuts! In one small area.. I caught four tiger muskies in the thirty inch range plus a natural in the low forties.. all within a half hour! I've gotten plenty of them down there, but never like this. They sure make a mess of an 1/8th oz. jig! Do these things commonly school? Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Chris,

We had the same thing happen years ago on the Susky while ice fishing below sugar creek. All small one's, but you could look down the hole and watch them destroy a small Rapala. Had other holes drilled around that onebut that was the only hole they came out of. A couple of them weren't more than a foot long. They were very aggresive to say the least.

Splitshot115

BP.. Yes.. they wre all on 1/8 oz. bucktails tipped with a fathead. Earlier this week I played "tug-o-war" with a huge musky that wouldn't let go of an 18" walleye I was bringing in that he grabbed. I slowly pulled him right next to the boat before he let go! It's fairly common for them to hit a fish on the way in, but they don't usually hold on so long. There are some huge muskies down there.. my biggest landed was 54", 38#.. but I've had bigger ones on! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Capt. Larry.. I'm fishing the NY section of the Susquehanna between Binghamton and Owego. As for the seasons.. I had to look, since I don't target muskies. The tiger musky season is the same as walleye.. 1st Sat. of May thru Mar. 15th. Regular Musky season is the same as bass.. 3rd Sat. of June thru Nov. 30th. I know you fish Chautauqua from your posts.. we fish it as a backup for "blow" days on Erie out of Barcelona. I must be a musky magnet.. boated 2 huge muskies on Chautauqua trolling for walleyes and even got a monster while fishing a walleye tourney out of Dunkirk. Wish I did as well on the walleye! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Sluggo,I fish Erie for Eyes a lot as well.I have a trailer at Blue Water Beach Campground 2 1/2 miles from Barcelona Launch.I'm also the Vice Prez of Eastern Lake Erie Charter Boat Assoc., need a report on whats going on for Eyes out of Barcelona or Dunkirk anytime your not already on top of the game,shoot me an email.

Capt. Larry

Capt. Larry.. Thanks for the offer! I think that's the campground my charter buddy's Fred and Don are both in as well. I'm sure you know them both. Fred and I started fishing Erie about the same time and still fish together when he doesn't have a charter. What a great fishery! We always stay at the Theater in Westfield. Makes for a quick trip over the hill if the big lake's rolling! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris) ps.. Just heard from Fred.. he's in Florida soaking his foot in salt water per doctor's orders after having part of a toe removed!

Capt. Larry.. Yep.. That's Fred! He's nuts.. actually, we're usually the only one's out there when he heads back in! Jock thinks we're a bit crazy! Thanks for the generous lodging offer, but I'm normally out there with several boats and a few guys. Claudette at the motel takes good care of us. We even take a grill along and have evening cookouts. I'll let you know when we're heading out so you can come over and join us. We're a pretty mild crew.. heck.. Fred even brings his wife over! Thanks again.. and Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)