backing line

what kind of backing do you guys prefer to put on a reel with 1-braid and 2-leadcore/copper line. Im new to trolling and I am getting a couple setups ready. Dont know weather to put a mono or a florocarbon backing on my braid setups and no clue where to start with the copper/leadcore.

thanks fishman i wouldnt have ever thought about power pro for a backing on copper/leadcore. What kind of reel do you use for copper and leadcore. I like the okuma reels but dont know if the okuma magda 45 dx reel is capable of copper and lead core. I have okuma 30 dx reels and a diawa 47scl plus both lin counters for braid...cant wait to get them in the water.

like 08 said powerpro is a good backer but if you add drop weights for that added depth ya better have a good gripper or it may fall off on a good fish. mono is ok if you have the reel capasity (i use pwr pro for that reason),the larger dia is good for drop weights and the "'stretch or give "" may help avoid a breakoff on a good fish,but thats what the drag is for.Also important with lead or copper is the pole selection i like a softer pole (med wght,.) so the ploe sorta surges with the waves giving the lure a added jigging action for that reaction strike. the mono will deaden that action some if you let out enuf after the lead ..another reason to use a braided line.......

that is a nice looking reel, i want to pick up 2 of them. I know you can count the colors on leadcore, but what about copper line? do you use a line counter that is seperate andstrap it on to the pole. or just let out all the copper?

I would suggest at least looking at the copper setups offered by A-Tom-Mik. The Penn reels are rugged and fairly economical. My personnel experience is that the Penn is a more dependable reel than the Okuma. I use Power Pro for backing on lead core and copper rigs. I use the 65lb Power pro on my superbraid slide diver setups (helps w/ flea time).